cloth diapers - washing before use

i have grovia soakers and covers. says to wash five times before using. i assume that this can be done in water only (no soap) at least four of those times since detergent can build up on these. just wanting to check to make sure if anyone knows.

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do GroVia and they are the most bad ass cloth diapers ever!

Get your big stock pot and put water in it. Bring the water to a boil. Turn the burner off, add the soakers. Let it soak in there until it's warm, not hot. Drain. Then wash the drained soaker pads in the regular wash with detergent and the covers in a warm wash load.

The washing a billion times is stupid and wasteful.

If you are breast feeding, the poop washes right out. No need to rinse or Presoak. If you are on solids or formula, swish the poop ones in the toilet to get the poop off.

I do put a teaspoon if bleach in my diapers once or twice a month. I use Charlie soap regularly for my diapers. It is lower residue.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:29 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I dont know much about grovia but I wouldnt use soap after the first wash.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• if you go with cloth diapers do u put them in the washer with the poop on it still? does the poop disolve in the water or something? i kinda want to go with cloth diapers but not sure if its worth the extra work
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I love Country save detergent and Rockin Green. Free and clear is actually on the list of detergents NOT to use. If I have stains the sun always gets them out. Go to www.jilliansdrawers.com they have lots of washing info that is a big help. Also some detergents will void the warranty on your diapers, go to that website, that is where I get all my info and diapers from.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 2:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I had Gerber diapers. I used free and clear each wash and no bleach unless needed.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 9:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• nandy90 - i got liners for solids for mine - you just lift it out and flush.

CandyHorse - I thought bleach wasn't good for them (the person we talked to recommended lemon juice and sunshine). ?
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• here is the page that says DONT use Tide free and clear
    http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/newtocloth
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 2:46 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• ecodani - thanks for the tip to avoid multiple washes. unfortunately i saw it after i started load #1 but will substitute the boiling for a few washes.

wood1980 - i purchased all free & clear based on the recommendation of the person at the specialty store who explained the new cloth diapers to us. it see that it gets low marks on jillians... Anyone using this stuff?
    figaro8895

Comment by figaro8895 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Nov. 25, 2010