How do u make ur Diaper trash can not smell so bad!!

So i change out the diaper trash can 3 times a week and it still stinks!! i washed it with bleach and it was better but now it just smells like bleach lol! but i swear the moment my dd knows the trash can is clean she poops!!! i dont want to waste trash bags at take it out every time she poops!! we have just a normal trash can with a lid for our diaper trash can! do those diaper genie things really work???

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do daycare and I put the diapers in a plastic bag and tie it shut before I toss it in the trash. I save my walmart plastic bags and grocery store bags, stuff like that. It cuts down on the smell. But I still take the trash out every day. Also you can buy those carbon deodorizers for diaper pails or cat litter boxes. They will help absorb the smell. Also I have use a 3M removable strip and put it on the bottom of an open baking soda box and attached it to the bottom of the diaper trash can. It won't spill as long as the trash can doesn't get dumped over. You can just put the trash bag over the top of it. Sometimes a drier sheet in your trash can will help too. I still haven't found the magic solution, but this what I've tried so far.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I always put baking soda in the bottom of the can after I take out the trash bag, I clean the trash can with soap and water and let it air dry in the sun and I use air sanitizer frequently. Diaper genie do work but they can be expensive but in my opinion harder than all of the other things I do to prevent odor.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• paper bags are less smelly than plastic ones
    maybe the paper absorbs the smell
    simple solution
    along with the other ones you will be getting
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Every time I dump mine I spray it will lysol.. then i'll wash it with bleach at the end of the week. Usually doesnt get too bad
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• just put the poopie diapers in a walmart bag and bring it to the outside trash can....or get one of those things you stick on the bottom or the inside of the lid...it's a circular air freshener thing for trash cans...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I carried the diaper to the garage trash can every time. I couldn't stand the smel of dirty diapers in the house even for an hour or so.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I actually keep a box of baking soda in the nursery, and sprinkle some into the trash bag itself whenever I put a dirty diaper in. I also use the odor-absorbing trash bags, & unless it's really full you usually can't smell the diaper pail unless you have the lid open. Hope you find something that works!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010