has anyone put there 4yr old in kindergarden.. who bday was in oct. or nov. or early dec. and realized they were not ready

my son bday is nov. 8 and im going to put him in kindergarden when he almost 5.. the cut off date in my state is dec5. i was just wondering. if any moms have put there 4yr in kind. and it didnt turn out well
thank you
happy turkey day!!!!!!!!!

Rydersmommy616

Asked by Rydersmommy616 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have put my just turned 5 year old in K and realized they were not ready. It took a great deal of work with the teachers and us at home to help her through it. Funny thing is now she is in 1st grade she is doing pretty good.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Boys tend to develop later and have a harder time starting kindergarten earlier than girls the same age. What is the hurry? It is really hard on a child to be put into kindergarten when they aren't developmentally ready. They struggle and learn to hate school at a very early age. Then the children recognize the child and can be very cruel about having to repeat a grade. If you have any kind of question about if your child is ready, have them preschool screened and see what the results are. If it is even close to border line, hold him. He will thank you for it. If you have already started a child and it is very evident they aren't ready, pull them out. Don't make them fight through it. You want your child to have a successful start. Good luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I'm debating the same thing right now. My ds is in preschool right now with an early november birthday (nov 11). I'm going to wait and see how he's doing at the end of this school year before I make a final decision.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• based on my own experience. if you can wait . i think it would be better.
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 10:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My son went to K when he was 4. His birthday is Dec 22nd and our cut-off is Dec. 31st. All through school I would hear from his teachers "well, he's the youngest in the class". I was sick of it. He did well. He made friends easily, he was reading in first grade, like most of the other kids (a few were ahead, reading in K). He's almost 20 years old now. I feel that the only time I saw his immaturity was actually in high school, he hung with kids a year or two behind all through HS.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• In general, boys are quite a bit more immature than girls are. Unless your son is one of the rare ones, I would just wait until next year. Here in FL, the cut off date is Sept 1 with no exceptions. So there are lots of children that start kindergarten and turn 6 immediately after starting. They generally do better, can follow the rules, sit still and all that. My youngest (son) is currently in kindergarten and he's one of the youngest kids in the class with a late June birthday. He's doing fine, but he really is more immature than the other kids. Had his birthday been any later I might have held him back a year.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• thank u ladies for all the insightful info.... i dont qualify for free preschool.. so i thought that sending him would be a good thing. bc i cant afford to send him to preschool . plus my family thinks if i dont send him.. i would be projecting faliure on to my child... I THINK THATS CRAZY. im prepared he might need to repeat kindergarden... my dh bday is oct... and i think he repeated the 2nd grade
    again thank u!!!!!!!!!
    Rydersmommy616

Comment by Rydersmommy616 (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i live in florida too my daughter is 4 and her birthday is october 4th so she wont get to start school til almost 6. but i wish our state had a later cut off she will be ready for school next year. she has been in daycare since 3 months and i work full time so she isnt at home anyway plus she begs me constantly to go to school.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I did NOT put my son in and he is December. He ended up getting bored and did not pay attention and feel behind in class. I am now in the same decision for my daughter. She too is a December baby and will be 4 this year. I really want her to start this next school year but the school she will be going to (she attends pre school there) says it is not a good idea.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:45 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My kids were born in the spring, so I wasn't in that position, but as a former kindergarten teacher I can tell you that the kids with the fall or winter birthdays had a horrible time being 4 and in kindergarten. They were not ready. Those cut off dates are ridiculous.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2010