• In the Spotlight:

Chicken Pox?!

When you rchild had the chicken pox did they start out looking like bug bites at first? My son (22 months old) has a line of what looks like bites but could be chicken pox. Took him to dr tonight and they told me that there was no way to actually tell til the morning. Just wondering what other moms have experienced.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• from here http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/chicken_pox.html

The rash begins as multiple small red bumps that look like pimples or insect bites. They develop into thin-walled blisters filled with clear fluid, which becomes cloudy. The blister wall breaks, leaving open sores, which finally crust over to become dry, brown scabs.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yes, they look like little bug bites and they usually start in the warm areas of the body. The child can run a fever and usually has a runny nose with cold symptoms. Watch your child carefully. My little girl got them and ended up with her brain stem swelling and she lost all of her motor skills for almost a month. It isn't a mild childhood illness like some people think. It can be very dangerous. If they are chicken pox, they will have little blisters that form on the tops of the little welts.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• OMGosh Lifes_a_dance ..... I hope she recovered to her normal self. I luckily didn't suffer to that extent even though I had them in my throat and privates when I was 5 which was bad enough. Didn't quite realize it was that dangerous.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• She did recover, but I was scared to death! She can walk, talk, and write again. No one ever told me it is a common symptom. Now I totally advocate for the immunization because they will get a milder case if they do get it. And they can even though they get the shot. Please do not purposely expose your little children to that illness. I
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• oh my .. glad to hear shes better now
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I haven't experience that yet. And I hope I don't have to from my experience with chicken pox.
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 26, 2010