Why isn't my roll dough rising?

I followed the recipe directions. This one, actually: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/parker-house-rolls-recipe/index.html

My water was 110, the yeast and flour and everything is fresh and new.  I did do one thing different though- I used low fat milk instead of whole milk.  Does that make it not rise?

DigiScrapperMom

Asked by DigiScrapperMom at 10:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• How cold is the room you have the dough sitting in? If it's below 75, it will slow it down, and if you are the type to keep it 65-68 it's really going to kill it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It shouldn't, I use skim milk all the time for my bread. Were the milk and the eggs at room temp?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Ooooo, Not panicking has a point. The bread really needs to be in a warm place.
    layh41407

• Sounds like your yeast is dead. Check the expiration date or add a little bit of sugar to get it going.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• The eggs and milk were room temp., the room is warm. Hmm, maybe I mis-measured the yeast or something. Oh well. I'll start over tomorrow. Thanks for the help! : )
    DigiScrapperMom

Comment by DigiScrapperMom (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I have a recipe that says to turn on the oven at the lowest temp while making the dough. Then turn the heat off and let the dough rise in the warmed oven.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2010