need breastfeeding help

long story short, my twins were born pre-mature.
They wouldnt breastfeed so I pumped for a 2 weeks. by the end of the 2nd week I got sick of pumping 24/7 and getting close to nothing so I quit all together and started to formula feed.
Last night out of curiosity I latched one of the girls and she started to suck.. I was thrilled so I pinched my nipple and a few drops came out.... I started to pump that night and its been 4 days and yet nothinggggg comes out in the pump (though I can get a few drops manually)
I have heard that it's possible to relatctate after a month but it doesnt seem to be looking good for me..
I'm pumping every 2 hours and not getting more than a drop so my question is am I doing this all for nothing and is it to late for me?
p.s... the girls will only suck on my breast for a couple minutes then get aggravated when nothing comes out so it's not as simple as "put the girls on the breast 8-12 times a day and your milk will come in" they refuse.... any advice?

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 10:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to insist on breastfeeding and throw a fit in nicu when my twins were born premature, they tried to say they wouldn't have the instinct, I threw a fit and proved them wrong.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Supplemental feeding system. Use it until your supply comes in, that way they DO suckle and stimulate you to produce. google "relactation" there is a shitton of info. Even MEN can breast feed. It just takes a little time to invest, I'm so proud of you for even being willing to try!!!! :)

BTW- I could express manually, but NEVER responded to a pump. They don't work for everyone.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It could be the pump. Or you are stressed I know it help my let down to take a few deep breaths before hand. Make sure to drink tons of water and try Fenegrik (sp) it's suppost to help. If you need to see a lactation consultant most hospitals you can call and speak to one for free. Or look up La leche in your area. Don't give up even a small amount of breast mikl for the babies is worth it esp if they were preme they need all the help they can get
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• SNS... you NEED one. They can get all their feedings at the breast and stimulate production. Slowly cut back the formula and their increased demand will increase your supply. Not everyone responds to a pump, babies are the best milk extractors.

You can order one from Medela (not expensive... it's just a small gage tube sitting in a bottle), or call your hospital/local lactation consultant and see if they have any. You can make one with small gage tubing from the hospital, too.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It's REALLY hard to keep your supply up with a pump. Even if you can't breastfeed 100%, any breastmilk is wonderful, especially since they were premature. Start each feeding on the breast, and have a bottle ready. When your first breast empties, switch, and when that one empties, then use the bottle. With them nursing at each feeding, your supply will increase. You may not be able to exclusively breastfeed, but it's WONDERFUL that you are giving them ANY milk! Keep at it, mama! You can do it!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I am so happy that you are thinking about it. That is awesome. Breast is best.
    Check out kellymom.com for a lot of great info on breastfeeding and building up your milk supply.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yes, the supplemental nursing system is exactly what you want to do.

Kellymom.com has a ton of tips on relactation. Until you can get the SNS, get some mothers milk tea. The regular grocery store has it. It is never too late to relactate!

Direct breast feeding will be so much easier than all the bottles! You have plenty to do with two. You can succeed at this. There are several breastfeeding support groups on cafe mom. Join one! You will get a ton of good help.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:22 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• It is entirely possible to be able to nurse, even exclusively, and still not respond to a pump. It's not too late. Even if you don't get much or anything from pumping, the pump IS still stimulating you, and your body should be getting the signal to step up production. I will say to put your babies to breast for each feeding. Once they get fussy, (which, by the way, is GREAT to increase supply) try something like a supplemental nursing system, which allows you to feed formula AT the breast. So, they'll be happier because they are getting something, and your body will still be getting the message, HEY, MAKE SOME MORE MILK!. They're a month, I believe you said? If so, this should be pretty easy to accomplish. The longer you aren't nursing, the more difficult it can be to relactate. A month is not that bad, and it's VERY likely that you never dried up completely.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• i do agree with the baby can get your milk in quicker than a pump. I make gallons of milk, but the pump just doesn't do it for me no matte the brand so i normally strictly nurse. I would call the hospital and speak to lactate for good information and guidance. good luck

natalieumphrey

Answer by natalieumphrey at 2:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2010