Which do you consider a police officer's main duty?

Are they there to prevent crime, or to catch criminals after crimes happen? Do you think it's realistic to believe that calling 911 will get a car to your home faster than someone breaking into your home can harm you, your family or your property?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think their main duty is to protect citizens as far as their ability allows.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• to serve and to protect. I would hope that if there was a burglar in my home help would arrive asap
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I feel their main job is to protect and defend, is this realistic, sometimes not. Seems to be more criminals than officers anymore. We have to be vigilant in protecting ourselves first. I told my husband I'd take care of any criminals that dare come to our house because working with the public all day I'm ready to take my agressions out on someone, LOL Hell has no fury like a womans scorn!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Both I guess. If someone is breaking in my home I'm armed and know my rights as to how I can use my weapon to protect my home and my family. I'm sure i would grab my gun before I grabbed my phone, honestly.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• The police in my area get there pretty quick. Their job is to protect citizens and uphold the law.

I appreciate the steps our cops have taken in dealing with our young people and letting them know the COPS are not your enemy.

The only real prevention they can do is through community outreach and patrolling...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• prevent it first , though thats often harder than after the crime is committed.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 11:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• IDK, most of the time I think they are just there to clean up the mess. It's hard to calculate if a crime can be prevented by calling 911. The progress of some crimes can be stopped by police if they get there in time (like domestic issues where the situation is slowly escalating), but I would think most of the time that the crime will have already transpired either by the time the call is placed or by the time the police arrive on the scene.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• A officer cannot prevent much crime we as a society must do that. Things that prevent crimes are good education systems, support for single parents, after school programs, and lessening the gap between the rich and poor. An officer can only help keep criminals off the street or take them off the street. You cannot blame the crime rates on the police, I highly respect the officers in my area.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 11:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Revenue generation?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Although there presence can deter crime some, they are mostly reactionary.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:10 AM on Nov. 25, 2010