so im thinking of PROPOSING to my Mom tomorrow....PROPOSING THAT SHE QUIT SMOKING!

proposing that she QUIT SMOKING!......i want to propose after prayer before thanksgiving dinner....in front of everyone... having a daughter of my own has shown me that I NEED MY MOMMY...i cant stand the thought of cancer taking her from me and i want to make it a goal of mine to help her get healthy and be around as long as possible...someone has to step up and ask her to do the work with our support...what do you think?? should i do it?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Health

• and . yes, i do plan to get down on one knee : )
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think that is a nice thing you want to do for your mom, but I dont think it should be done in front of everyone. What do you think thats going to do beside make her feel very uncomfortable, and with you on one knee? You do know that she knows all about smoking and cancer? It has to be her decision b/c its her life. You can offer support and medication ideas or other ideas, tell her how you feel behind closed doors and go from there....
    Anonymous

• I think it is sweet that you want o help her, but please, please do not do it in front of everybody. It will only embarrass her and make her angry.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• That should be a private conversation, not a drama show for everyone.
    Why does everyone wait for the holidays to do crap like this? Can't you have a convo with her by yourself? I'm sure she would be more receptive to that, than to the embarrassment of being set up like you are considering.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think that although you are trying to help, you are being selfish to put her on the spot. It would mean so much more if you took her to lunch, told her how much you love and need her, and ask her then.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• OMG why would you do this? Please re think it! Do you know how incredibly embarrassing that would be to her? If your mom has smoked for quite a while I am sure she is well aware that she NEEDS to quit and I agree a talk would be nice..but just between the two of you, mother to daughter. I hope after reading these responses you will change your mind and not totally ruin the holiday for her
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Basicall she will not quit untill she is ready....m mom smokes and I agree with the others about that it should be private. She will probably not appreciate on thanskgiving in front of others....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I hope you are not seriously thinking of doing that- I agree, taking her to luch and discussing it there would be better than at Thanksgiving dinner where she will feel set up and trapped. Smokers know that smoking is bad. You or anyone else wanting her to quit makes no difference unless and until SHE wants to do it FOR HERSELF. If you do this- be prepared for drama
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• No matter what you decide, a person won't stop until they are ready. You can ask all day long, cry, scream, throw stuff, etc. When she decides to, she'll quit and not a minute before. Sucks that people are like that and don't take into account that the lack of caring about their health affects their children and grandchildren.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 2:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2010