My Japanese maples aren't doing so well...

I live in NC. My JM's leaves are drying up. One of the trees has a white powdery substance on it. I am no green thumb. Please help!

2educ8

Asked by 2educ8 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Home & Garden

• My Japanese Maple is coming back - Carolina Gardening Forum ...
    My Japanese Maple dropped all it's frozen leaves today. ... This puts a strain on the tree so you should be sure to keep it well watered during droughts and ...
    forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carolgard/msg0423525031998.html -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

•  Locally, summer drought is the most common cause of scorch in the landscape; in containers, it is insufficient watering and excessive fertilizer application. (It would be useful to know under what conditions you garden.) Japanese maples are most comfortable in woodland surroundings with a cool, moist root run. In containers, heat is a serious problem even in cooler climates. The larger the container, generally the better the conditions (roots are better insulated from heating, cooling and drying out).  If the white, powdery substance on the stems is a thin, smooth coating, it is probably cuticular wax, a natural substance the plant produces to protect the stem. It is probably better to leave it alone. On the other hand, if the coating is bumpy and not particularly homogeneous, or it moves on its own, it may be something else (possibly an insect).
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Its powderly mildew go to your local green house and get some spray, also can be used on roses they will be able to help you decide what kind is best for the area
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 2:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2008