My son doesn't like me anymore :(

I have a 16 month old son who has been a momma's boy all his life...well up to now that is. Recently he has been clinging to EVERYONE and not wanting to come back to me. And by everyone I mean complete strangers! I took him to the mall today to play and he ran up to a man about my dad's age (45-50) and wanted the man to hold him and walk him around. The guy was really nice so he carried my son around (as I followed of course) and let him play a little bit. But when it was time to go, my son wouldn't come to me and was crying for this stranger to keep holding him! The same thing happened at my fiance's office the other day. The only thing I can think of is that my son thinks these men are my dad...who he has a really strong bond with. Regardless though, its really hurting my feelings. I am not mean to my son at all. I play with him, feed him, take care of him, love him, etc. etc.! I've not done anything that would merit such behavior. I am a SAHM too. Why is he doing this?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did this to me recently. My situation is a little bit different though...My husband was deployed for the first 11 1/2 months of my daughters life. We saw daddy on the computer and she heard his voice but that was it. Now she is 13 months and he has been home for almost 2 months and she loves him more than me!! (okey, maybe not really) but she cries when he leaves and she never does that for me. When she wakes up in the morning she calls for "Dada" not "Mama now". I am a SAHM too and My friend said it best, "She takes you for granite because you are there day in and day out, and you always come back when you leave. Whereas Dad (who was pretty much a stranger) is this new fun guy who hasn't been around that long, therefor, maybe he will go away and never come back again." After I thought about it I agree....they love and trust us so much they know no matter what we will be there unlike new fun people they meet.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 1:27 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• He's male bonding. There is nothing to be upset over. Don't take it personally

Answer by admckenzie at 12:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I agree with the previous poster. It's a phase and he'll be momma's boy again before you know it.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I agree with the above posters, and want to add that if he was scared or REALLY in need, YOU would be the first one he would run to. So don't worry mama!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:15 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• He is doing what he should do at this age, so don't take it personally! And please don't let strangers carry him around either, that is a little scary to me.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:15 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• spottedpony, the strangers at my fiance's office were his co-workers, who were only strangers to my son..not to my fiance and I. And the man at the mall today was there with his 2 kids in the play area, I was right next to him the entire time. I understand your concern but just letting you know that its not like I just walked off while someone had my kid.
    Ash9724

Comment by Ash9724 (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• OP - I want to caution you about strangers in the mall. Pedi's will hang out in a place like that and may even have children with them, but they are dangerous just the same. By letting a stranger walk around with your son - even following, walking along etc...is sending a message to your child (even at this young age) that it's ok with mom to let a stranger carry you, walk around, etc. Please reconsider NOT doing this in the future! The only people that should ever hold your child are ones that you know and trust!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• This too shall pass. =) it's just a phase, not to worry. =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 25, 2010