SPANKING

spare the rod and spoil the child..
can someone explain it to me far as religion is concerned do u still think that it is still acceptable to do in this day an age..
do ppl still believe in sparing the rod or have even religious ppl become scared to beat their kids anymore..

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:36 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The parent that puts off disciplining their child is a parent that gets angry. That is not properly disciplining or training your child. That is laziness on the part of the parent and teaches your child that your word means nothing and that they don't actually have to follow your directions which further angers the lazy parent. This is where the parent ALLOWS the child to do whatever he wants, gets away with it and the child takes control of the parent. These children end up being very badly behaved children. Parents need to not let their children run their lives and step up and BE PARENTS! Train your child(ren)! Teach them! "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it"....Discipline means "to teach". You ARE teaching your children whether or not you "spank" or not. If you truly love your child you will discipline your child.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:39 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• There is a huge difference between beating and spanking. HUGE difference! I have never hesitated to spank my children when it was necessary. but NEVER have I beat them. I would spank my kid in front of a cop; if it was necessary=in fact I have had cops tell me that I can do whatever I feel is necessary to control my child-just don't leave any marks; and then they have turned to the kid and told them to straighten up their act pronto. My oldest daughter was a real handful; and there were times that I had to take desperate measures to keep her from hurting herself or me; so there were times that the police were involved.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• It really depends on who you ask. Like anything else in the bible, it can be interpreted in different ways. I was raised that 'spare the rod' means discipline, which is not synonymous with physical punishment, or punishment of any sort for that matter. Instead, its meant as a way to raise them into good adults by shaping their behavior.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• It is referring to discipline. You must discipline your child, but you must do so in a loving manner. That doesn't mean you can't spank, it just means don't do it out of anger. When the child is old enough to understand, it's important to let the child know that we discipline because we love him/her. Just like we are disciplined by God, to correct us and put us on the right path.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm not Christian so I can't comment on the saying much but I try to keep spankings as a last resort or a punishment for things that are dangerous. Most of the time the spanking is not necessary but I'm not afraid to do it if I feel the situation calls for it. I would never spank hard enough to leave a mark.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 2:18 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Spare the rod and spoil the child isn't technically in the Bible it's a poem by Samuel Bittner. There are a few scattered references to using corporal punishment in proverbs, but I believe you have to put this in cultural context of the time. Jesus made no mention of hitting so I don't think God thinks we should all spank our kids. If you do fine, but for me I never would.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:23 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I believe that there are some instances that a child should be spanked for instance if you tell your three year old not to spill his milk and he spills it. that was just an accident and does not warrent a spanking but if i tell my three year old not to spill his milk and he looks at me and deliberatly pours his milk on the floor you better believe I am going to swat his butt ,then I am going to explain to him why and tell him that no matter what he does wrong i will always love him and then hug him. To me it depends on whether a child knows what they are doing is wrong or not. If they didn't know that what they were doing was wrong then a spanking is not warrented but if they do know it was wrong and you don't correct it then they know they are getting away with something. believe me children know when they deserve a spanking. It's when you spank them and they don't deserve it, thats when resentment comes in.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 5:39 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The word "spanking" has been distorted so much that I do not use that word. It usually is thought of as hitting and that is not what true spanking is. The Godly discipline measures are best described by http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/ and this is what I have used for my children with fabulous results. My children haven't had to have "discipline" (spankings) for years now but if they did need it, I would administer it! Many parents who don't have proper training in HOW to train their children the right way and spank their kids do it in anger which IS WRONG! I however do NOT and WILL NOT do that! My children have the freedom to choose: obey or disobey. Obey brings blessings, disobey brings conflict. If they disobey, they get discipline. I do not administer discipline with my hands. Hands are for loving. I use a "discipline stick" which is a hot glue gun stick (not while hot of course!) It does not leave any marks yet has a

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• sting to remind my child that their choice to disobey was a painful choice. A parent that properly disciplines their child(ren) will never get to the point of being angry with their children. The child is given the freedom of choosing to disobey or to obey. The child - even a young one is told "if you touch the plug in, you will be choosing to have discipline. Do not touch." The child, 2-3 yrs old looks RIGHT AT YOU and touches it. If they were ACTUALLY "too young to know what they were doing" as some might say - they wouldn't look at YOU they would look at the plug in. The fact that he is looking right at you and touches it, is the epitome of a challenge: "Is mom/dad going to actually follow through with what they say?". Now, this is the critical point: if you immediately go to the child and say "you chose to disobey momma, now you have chosen to have discipline" and administer one per yr the child is in age.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:34 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Parents need to be disciplined themselves in order to discipline their children just as we need to have love for ourselves in order to be able to love others. You cannot give what you do not have. I had to learn how to discipline myself and then teach it to my children. When a parent immediately (NO MATTER WHAT!) deals with their child and their choice to disobey, the parent does NOT get angry. Anger comes about when a child is permitted to continue to disobey over and over again and no consequence is administered. The whole mentality of "one more time and..." or "I will count to 10...." is ridiculous. You tell your child "do not...." or "do this...." and if the child does what you tell him not to or doesn't do what you tell him to do, then you discipline - in other words you (by disciplining) are telling the child "you made the choice to disobey which is a (literally) painful choice".
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2010