Is vertigo a symptom of pregnancy?

Has anyone else experienced vertigo and/or hot flashes as symptoms of early pregnancy?

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:57 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I also have vertigo, and it got worse when I was pregnant. Technically speaking though, ANY dizziness is vertigo. Pregnancy can cause dizziness, yes. But unless you are on the floor, willing the world to stop spinning, hoping you do not vomit or pass out, then it is not vertigo. Any for of dizziness should be talked about with your doctor. Hot flashes - Those are a symptom of pregnancy, but not all women get them.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 4:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I don't remember. Vertigo, for me, also means that you're requiring food and could mean that you're hypoglycemic.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I am hypoglycemic, but I've had plenty of food.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• You might want to call your doctor to be on the safe side but I don't think vertigo is a sign of pregnancy.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 8:57 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I have vertigo. Its something you have had all your life. Its an inner ear condition. Its symptoms can just pop up whenever..like all of a sudden i will extrememyl dizzy or pass out. There are over the counter meds you can get. Talk to your Dr. I'm not sure if its ok during pregnancy, i have been needing to ask my Dr Also..but no, pregnancy doesnt make you have it. you already had it. Hot flashes, yeah, thats a pregnancy thing! haha I have them too! ;)
    MamaCass2003

Answer by MamaCass2003 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Actually, I googled it and found this answer on ehow.com "What Is Vertigo?
    Vertigo is a feeling that the room is spinning and happens for many different reasons. Vertigo can be disorienting especially if you are experiencing it for the first time. If you experience vertigo, you might initially wonder if something serious is happening, but it is fairly common during early pregnancy and frequently is a first sign of pregnancy.
    Reasons for Vertigo
    Vertigo is typically associated with an imbalance in the inner ear, which controls balance. In pregnancy, however, vertigo most likely results from increases in circulatory demands for which your body hasn't compensated. Soon, your body will compensate by increasing your blood volume by about 50 percent. Vertigo might also be associated with fluctuating blood glucose levels, increased amounts of hormones or by dehydration."
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2010