How to get an overtired baby to sleep?? Please help!

My baby boy who is 7 weeks tends to get overtired after a busy day which leads to a very fussy evening. I end up trying to get him to sleep for hours. I try feeding him, rocking him, putting on sleeping music, giving him a paci & none of that seems to work. He ends up falling asleep for a couple of minutes just to be up again fussing. Does anyone know some good ways on getting him to sleep & staying asleep?

CassieM2B

Asked by CassieM2B at 1:29 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with my ds, i give him his paci and rock him to sleep (ignore the crying by watching tv lol) and then i lie him down with a big teddy bear beside him, but he's over a year old not a little baby...do you swaddle your baby? he may sleep better since he's so little
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• ya i swaddle him, but no for naps.
    CassieM2B

Comment by CassieM2B (original poster) at 1:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Have you tried a swing or vibrating chair?? Also a once of just warm water sometimes worked for my daughter. Maybe try a bath that always seems to calm babies down sitting in warm water. Other than that is sounds like you are doing everything you can. Good luck!
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 1:36 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• does he sleep better swaddled or not>? mydd hated it but my ds liked it, if i wrapped my dd up she'd cry until i unwrapped her
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:36 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• This may be out dated but my Dr. I had 28 years ago (for my first) suggested a tsp. of whiskey in 8 oz. of water, with a few drops of honey. You heat it in a pan, the majority of the alcohol cooks off. Give it to him warm.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 1:59 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• oh wow- nobody should ever give a 7wk old whiskey or honey! Honey is very dangerous until age 2.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Have you made sure it is not colic? I would try a nice warm bath then rub him with some baby lotion doing that always works wonders for me. I had a friends baby with me over night last week because they were getting to stressed because he was not sleeping well for them. I saw what they were talking about when we spent half the night of getting him to sleep then he would wake up 45 minutes later we did that for hours. So I let him eat one ounce more then what they were giving him and put him in his car seat and he slept for 3 hours before waking up. so if you baby is in his car seat a lot try putting his seat in the crib and see if he will sleep in it like that.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• What I do for my daughter is: I hold her tight ti my body with her fav. blankie and I rock her and pat her butt. I only give her her bottle if she wantes it. Some times you just have to let them cry it out but try doing what I do the longest my baby cries is 45 min. They want the comfort and to fight I know it makes no since lol Good luck and pls keep me posted id love to know what works for you and your little one.
    NevansMommy

Answer by NevansMommy at 7:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2010