Should i allow my doctor to induce?

I am 38 weeks & 3 days pregnant, with my first child. Went to my weekly check up & found out that my cervix is ready. My doctor wants to induce me in 2 days! Everything is good both baby & I are healthy. OMG! I don't know what to do, should i go through with it or wait for baby to decide when he wants to get here?

yvemama

Asked by yvemama at 3:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was 42 weeks and 6 days when I was induced. I finally got tired of having my doctor nagging at me to induce so I relented. It was the worst expierence of my life. I totally regret it.

I had to stay in bed during the entire process, I was in labor longer and had harder contractions due to the pitocin, I didn't eat for 23 hours because they won't allow you anything but ice after the process is started and when Ava was born she wasn't breathing so they had to take her to NICU so I didn't get to spend those first few moments with her...not to mention I wanted to breast feed and I couldn't for the first three days because she was in NICU. I didn't smoke, drink, drink caffeine or anything during my pregnancy...Ava just wasn't ready to be born quite yet.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 3:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Unless there is a medical emergency, I suggest waiting...your baby knows when it is ready to come out better than some doctor does....

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 3:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Both of my children were induced and I had an easy time with it. My kids were healthy, no complications from the induction. My new OB was in research before coming to run his clinic, he said the current viewpoint on inducing is that they avoid the increased risk of stillborn babies, bowel movements in utero, aging placenta, (and other issues that occur from waiting 41+ weeks) that could have been healthy births after 37 weeks. There is a lot of variety among doctors though. Some doctors wait until 39 weeks or so to suggest inducing... some won't even consider it until you're past 40 weeks. *shrug* Ultimately you have to do what you're comfortable with. I am assuming there is no urgent medical reason for inducing.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I say "current viewpoint" because the medical world does tend to move through trends, so you just have to sort out for yourself what works. I was a little surprised your doctor is suggesting it this early, honestly. Does he think your due date may be off? Seems a bit early.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Don't do it! The more interventions you have, the more likely you are to have complications. I know how difficult it is to hold out these last few days/weeks...but your baby will come when he/she is ready. It's early and with the due date being an estimate, your likely to head into a situation where you will be more likely to have a c-section because your labor is not progressing "fast enough" for the doctor. I have alot more to say but I can only type 1000 characters!

If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them for you. Good luck to you!
    3peasinthepod

Answer by 3peasinthepod at 4:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I agree, dont' do it, at least not till 40 weeks or more (easy for me to say right lol), the due date is just an estimate not written in stone, the baby will know when it's time. I feel doctors are too quick to induce or interfer with normal birth process because they want it to fit their schedule, it's about you and your babies health, not them. It's not unusal for first time mom's to go over there due date.
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 4:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I don't see any harm in doing it besides the possibilty of c-section. You'll need to read up on ways to avoid being pushed into an unecessary c-section if you do decide to get induced.
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My girlfriend was induced that early and REGRETTED it! They say that if the baby is not ready that there is a good chance his/her lungs aren't ready. NOW, her son needs to use an ogxygen treatment machine 3x a week! He has had all kinds of respiratory problems.....her and her husband TOTALLY regret being induced....and when I worked at a day care center there were so many kids on those machines it was insane.....DON'T go with the trend, your body is smarter! GOOD LUCK!
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I was induced 2 out of 3 times and it was so worth it. I am hoping to be induced this time too. MY girls were 6.8 and 7.2 at 37 weeks so, my dr said there isn't any reason so far that I can't be induced. YaY!!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I was induced about the same amount of weeks you are now. And it was so easy but thats because i got an epidural and the baby came out fine and an hour later i was walking around the room like i didn't just have a baby. Just go with what your doc wants to do. There is a reason for him wanting to induce you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Nov. 5, 2008