Should stores be closed on Turkey Day?

Is it that big a holiday that the economy has to shut down for 24 hours?

We don't even really get started (outside of the cooking) until the afternoon.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:21 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Holidays

• I worked as a CNA for years, 18 to be exact. I think that all businesses could stay open or the holiday. What our nursing home does is lets us pick which holiday we want off. Then you choose which holiday you want to work days. and which holiday you would like to work evening. That worked out great for me, I would always work Thanksgiving days. Only because my mom always did the cooking. I would work Christmas night so that I could be home with my kiddos for Christmas morning, and I would ask for New Years Day off so I could rest. For the most part everyone got what they wanted. So if we can do it so can't the stores.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I think they should. Get your gas and everything the night before so employees can be at home with families
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 6:50 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Only some supermarkets are closed here, the rest are all open and full of sales.

Answer by older at 7:30 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I think it should be left up to each individual business whether they want to stay open or not. For some, it's just not worth it $$, or they stand on the principle of letting employees have the day off. For others, there's some cash to be made, and some employees don't mind working holidays because they don't celebrate it, or they don't have family in the area, etc. I think it's nice when a business pays a little extra to employees who work on a holiday.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:49 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I do think they should be closed down, but I am happy they werent because last night DH ate all my sour cream and I had to pick more up today.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:03 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Well I'm glad they aren't. I just started my period, and didn't realize I was down to one pad and no tampons...
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:16 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm on the fence with this one. Part of me thinks they should be closed (like the first poster said) to be home w/their families. But then I think....well it is not a religious holiday. And actually what they teach the kids in school about the first Thanksgiving is completely wrong, but I want to stay focused, so I will not get into that, LOL. I for one would love to be able to just order pizza or go out to eat and then do some shopping while the masses are at home stuffing themselves silly! =)
    TristansMom440

Answer by TristansMom440 at 7:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I think they should be closed.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I agree with the other posters, it should be up to the individual business. Some places pay time and a half or double time for their employees to work on a holiday, if i had that option, I would surely be working today. It is a nice day, but not such a big deal.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• when I was single, it was definitely a downer holiday for me.I wouldn't have minded working half the day at least just to get out of the house.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2010