Honestly Curious About Something

The other day, someone used a quote by Ben Franklin (They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety). Someone else said that you couldn't apply it to today's society and that it was outdated and no longer valid. 

Using that kind of logic, how can one justify claiming the Bible is valid/applicable in today's society since it is far older than Ben Franklin?

Just thought of something else ... if Franklin's quote is outdated and no longer valid, the what about the Constitution? Declaration of Independence? Are these also outdated and the principles in them no longer valid in today's society? 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 7:08 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Okay I'm getting irritated with the liberal bashing. I'm a liberal and I love that Ben Franklin quote.

But using that kind of logic no 'old' book could be used. Just where would the line be drawn, 50 years, 10 years or 2 years? Just what makes something outdated and in valid? I think this is more of a question of validity rather than time.

Personally I feel the Constitution and Declaration of Independence is valid today just as much as it was when written. Americans need to read the foundation documents and that includes Ben Franklin's works. Even reading Jefferson would be an eye opener.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:14 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Ben Franklin was quite correct when he stated what he did about those willing to give up a little freedom for safety deserving neither. His statement is just as relevant today as it was when he said it several hundred years ago. The bible., also continues to be relevant. Those who disagree with what it (not what man says) teaches may not believe it is important for them, but whether you believe in Jesus' saving grace or not, the bible holds much wisdom.
    Why should we stop at saying the bible and the Constitution are outdated? How about Grandpa? He's getting on in age, useless. Shall we rid ourselves of him too? You know what all of these have in common? History! They are all part of our history and are all vitally important today. If we do not learn from those who have walked this road before us, we are doomed to make the same mistakes over and over and over.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:00 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Well I agree with Ben Franklin's quote and I think the bible is quite relivant to today. I've noticed when that quote is brought up it's usually liberals so I guess you would have to ask them. :) Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• The only common element I find is that those who discount that quote in relation to the whole TSA thing don't actually understand the complaints about the TSA thing. I say that having watched over the past week as several people who started out the week on the "get over it" team eventually changed their mind as they read more info about what's really going on. So with that in mind, I don't think you can really draw any kind of correlation. Besides, the people who discount that quote fall on both ends of the political spectrum, and have no common religious factor between them. It's not an age issue - it's an education one. Ancient texts are still relevant, as are the messages conveyed by them. What needs to be more closely examined is CONTEXT (see also: lack of understanding).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• "Some" say they disagree w/ Ben Franklin. That means others still agree w/ him. Some of our founding fathers were very wise men (no pun intended), and certain values & believes will always stand the test of time. Religion will also stand the test of time, as it involves teaching us to do what's right & treat each other with kindness. That never goes out of style. Miracles still happen, and faith will continue. Heaven is an eternity.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:12 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I agree with the quote - I also believe that the things of history are very valid today. People who say that these quotes don't apply don't understand two things. 1) that principles are meant to survive time and 2) that history repeats itself.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I am very liberal and I agree with the quote. I am as outraged as most about some of the crap that they are doing. I just wonder if anyone notices that every time you say there out to be a law you are agreeing to give up some more of your freedoms. So you really need to look at what those laws unintended limitations are going to be.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Oh! And this same quote was brought up when the Bush Admin pushed the Patriot Act through, and many Republicans used the same argument being presented here.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Good question OP!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 7:12 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• liberals that disagree***
    Anonymous