How old were you when you got engaged?

How long did you date before he popped "the question"? I am 32 and have dated my BF now for a little over 7 years and he hasn't asked me to marry him yet. We have lived together for about4 years. I have a 13 year old daughter with another man (who she never sees) and have been having some troubles with her the past few years. I feel that the problems with my daughter has postponed my BF from asking me. We talk about being married all of the time and he always asks me if I would marry him, but I don't take him seriously anymore. Is it rude to tell him that if he doesn't ask me to marry him soon that I will leave him? Or should I just not rush into marriage?

smiles551

Asked by smiles551 at 7:40 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• "RUSH" into marriage?! I think 7 yrs of being together & 4 years of living together is plenty of time for him to step up to the plate! Besides the obvious, there are financial benefits to being married too. Giving him an ultimatum usually isnt the way to go. I would suggest telling him you had certain life goals that you'd like to accomplish by a certain time in your life. Put marriage on that list & decide where that fits in your time table. If he's not willing to commit by that time, then it may be time to move on. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I was 17 we dated for 3 years. I wouldn't rush marriage if you love him.but if you feel you want marriage that's fine too But ask him why he asks that if he has no intention of popping the big one good luck
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 7:47 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• We never really got engaged. We just mutually decided hey it's time to get married now so we went out and picked a ring. I was 24. And we had been together for 2 years. It's different for everyone.

I think you should bring it up. Personally, if I wanted to get married and my s/o didn't... I would stop wasting my time and find someone that did want to get married. Sometimes these things are important to discuss. Good Luck!!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I was 21, dated for a while but were not an item until he popped the question.

Answer by older at 7:49 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• 19 engaged and married after one year and 3 months together.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:56 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I was 19, we were together for a year and a half.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• To answer your age ques.- The 1st time I was 18, & we dated for about a year. Thankfully, he cheated on me & did me a favor by giving me my reason to go out that door before I made a huge mistake. The next time was at age 29- we've known each other for 25 yrs, friends first, & dated 1 1/2 yrs before he asked me to marry him. Believe me, this one's a keeper! :) (Together for 15 years, married for 13- plz dont do the math!- LOL)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• we dated for 3 1/2 years and got married on our 4 yr anniversary got married when we were 19
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:59 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I was 16. It was our second date. A little over a year later when I turned 18 we got married. We rushed it. 7 years is not rushing it. I wouldn't give him an ultimatum but I would discuss it with him.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I was 22 when we met, 23 when we got engaged and 24 when we married.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:26 AM on Nov. 25, 2010