help my 5.5 year old has her first loose tooth as of yesterday and she wont eat.

She asked for breakfast so I gave her some this morning, but then she told me mommy I am afraid to eat because of my tooth. I told her it was ok, but she wont eat. How do I get her to eat and not worry about the tooth?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's a learning experience for her ... no need to "try" to get her to eat, offer food as usual and she'll either eat or she won't. It won't hurt her to miss a few meals and as she gets hungry, she'll experiment with what foods she can feel comfortable eating. This is temporary but she'll encounter many loose teeth - it's fine to let her work through her feelings and her fear in her own time.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• You could try making her a smoothy, if that doesn't work then give her mushy food like potatos or something like that. She won't starve herself so give it time and keep reminding her it is okay to eat. Her tooth will come out when it is ready.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Make her soft things and tell her to just chew them carefully with her back teeth. She will eat when she gets hungry enough.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My 6 y/o niece went thru this just last week. She didn't eat for a few meals, except oatmeal. When the tooth was wiggly enough, my sister pulled it. Didn't come out the first day, but it did the next.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:07 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• When she gets hungry enough she'll eat and then she will see that she can. Poor thing
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• She just needs to get used to the new feeling of that missing tooth. Offer her soft foods until she is used to it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:18 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• get a few white chicklets and make a goofy walrus face.......kid might stop stressen so much then :)
    SteelersChick

Answer by SteelersChick at 8:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I agree that offering her soft foods could be good. Or you could talk about why she is worried about it, and then reassure her. OR you could encourage her to eat foods that will help the tooth come out, like a whole apple.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• fluids are what's most important...if she drinks you'll be fine. Trust me, when she gets hungry enough, she'll eat. Unless she has special dietary needs (diabetic, etc.) I wouldn't worry.
    AislinnAsparas

Answer by AislinnAsparas at 10:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Try to get her to eat her favorite foods, maybe she won't think about the loose tooth.
    shellee_d

Answer by shellee_d at 3:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2010