is this legal my? my landlord refuses 2 fix my hot water heater because she didn't charge a depoist she says that the depoist is for maintence and she makes her other tennats move out if they run out of their deposit what can i do and is this legal

karen0306

Asked by karen0306 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I do not think this is legal. I am not sure, although you could contact the city or a laywer to find out. I believe you could also contact the better business bureau. There must be something out there to help you I am just not exactly sure what it is.

To me it sounds crazy.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I don't know about this... Check the laws of your State. Many cities have Law libraries that are open to the public. Mine does. GOOD LUCK !!!
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 8:48 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• This does not sound right to me at all...

I would definitely contact somebody!
    -mrs.mamma-

Answer by -mrs.mamma- at 8:49 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• No that is absolutely not legal. Landlords have certain things that they need to fix, and that is one of them. That is not what a persons security deposit is for either. Security deposits are for damages cause by you, or unpaid rent. Water heater is not included unless you did something to it. Tell her that she needs to fix it or you're going to sue her.... because legally I think you can.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:49 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• If you she didn't charge a sercuity deposit then that is her fault not yours.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:50 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• It will depend on the housing code for landlords in your state. Google it and see if providing hot water is a condition of renting a property for human habitation. If hot water is required by your state's housing code, print it off and show it to the landlord.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:02 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Report her to the better  business bureau!

Answer by older at 9:10 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I am a landlord and this does not sound right. Check your lease and see if there is something unusual in your lease. It sounds as though they are not anxious to maintain you. Is there a reason they might want you to leave? If you want to stay there, try to approach it in a reasonable manner and a nonthreatening manner. I do not know what you pay in rent or what you are able to do. But you should be able to replace the water heater for $300 or so if you or a friend is handy. I know that is a whole lot cheaper than moving. You have to choose your battles. But if they really want you out, you can cause an upset but you will probably have to move anyway.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:15 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Send your landlord a written, return receipt requested letter explaining that the water heater is not working and that if it isn't fixed within two weeks (check your state laws if you have children it may need to be done sooner) you will replace it yourself and withhold it from the rent along with any labor/installation costs. When a landlord accepts a sec. dep. (all 50 states) it has to be deposited in an account until the tenant moves out and can only be used for damages that you caused. It has nothing to do with repairs that the landlord is responsible for. A landlord is responsible for plumbing and heating equipment since both are necessary to make the dwelling habitable. Check out http://www.rentlaw.com/statelist.htm and good luck!

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• this--It will depend on the housing code for landlords in your state. Google it and see if providing hot water is a condition of renting a property for human habitation. If hot water is required by your state's housing code, print it off and show it to the landlord.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2010