When was the last time you (or a child) broke something in a store?

Did they make you pay for it?

My youngest broke a small reindeer at JoAnn Etc last night and they didn't charge is for it. It would have been $8 with the sale price. A few years ago my other daughter broke $100 worth of garden gnomes when a shelf fell and they didn't make us pay for them, either!

.science.mom.

Asked by .science.mom. at 9:33 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Shopping

• me or mine have never broke anything either, working in retail tho I can tell you most stores can return broken items and be reimbursed from the company. It's called "chargeback" (that's what JCP called it when I worked there lol). Now, if it's a small mom/pop place they might charge you not sure
    starlight1968

Answer by starlight1968 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I can't really say that myself or my kids have ever broken anything.. but I remember taking my eyes off of my daughter for 2 seconds and she was over at a shelf rubbing clinque moisturizer on herself!! Talk about expensive taste!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I don't think my kids have...yet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:36 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My husband broke a candle at Target. It was in this half box-top half- and when he picked it up the candle slid out and EXPLODED on the floor. He was really embarrassed! We didn't have to pay for it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My son was probably about 4 or 5 and he was playing with and dropped a snowglobe at a Hallmark. We took it to the cashier and they didn't make us pay for it. They told him thank you for telling them, and the way the woman did it was a great lesson to him. He still remembers how nice she was.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• What was your daughter doing close enough to a shelf to knock it onto all those gnomes in the first place. Neither my chindren nor I have ever broken anything in a store. I know better and my children are supervised and know how to behave in public. If an accident were to occur I would insist on paying for it if it were our fault... it isn't the stores responsability to pay for broken items. Chargebacks may be in place but next time prices go up because those items DO have to paid for, don't complain because it is EVERYONE paying for those things.....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:03 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I honestly can't remember the last time. That is awesome they didn't charge you.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:31 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I never have and, so far so good, knock on wood, my kid hasn't broken anything either.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• @ bcauseimthemom = That's pretty harsh! Accidents happen no matter how closely you watch your kids. That's why charge backs are in place, because they know it happens especially with the high traffic of people. I WORKED for Retail stores like Target and while WORKING I accidentally broke three spaghetti jars. I've broken glass cups, plates... shit happens and they weren't on purpose so don't even think that. I have seen my own Store Manager break things while setting up shelves, grabbing a box wrong and what not. Sooner or later one of your kids IS going to break something or you will and I hope you realize how easy it is and you will be THANKFUL when they are nice and say you don't have to pay for I because I honestly doubt you would pay for it if offered not too.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:48 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• my kids have never - i either do not take them in stores with a lot of breakables, or i hound them with "do not touch, stay right by the cart, walk carefully, etc". last time i broke anything was when i worked at a grocery store, long long story short i broke a whole bunch of jars of spaghetti sauce.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2010