Scared job

I am looking for a job and so scared of not finding one, I dont have any experience other then working at a porn store for a short 4 months. Why would someone hire me with little to no experience and 42 years old. Gosh I am scared and not sure what to do, I NEED a job regardless. What do i put on a resume? That i have been a house wife and mommy for 17 yrs, not married anymore. Thanks please share your suggestions, thoughts etc. Please dont bash, just looking for help.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Lisa_Lynn

Asked by Lisa_Lynn at 10:04 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Good luck, you'll need it. Maybe you can find work at a call center doing collections or something. I have had no luck in my job search so I have simply gone back to school for a degree.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:08 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Thanks for the confidence. I need a job I have to support me and my son.
    Lisa_Lynn

Comment by Lisa_Lynn (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• "Good luck, you'll need it" WTF??? Great support!!!

Well hon, do you have your GED or high school diploma?
    Start by putting applications in, everywhere!

For your resume, you can simply put you have no experience. This will be your "first job."
    People do it all the time.. think, how can teenagers start out? So, keep applying. Apply! Apply! Apply!

Eventually you'll come up with something. The more applications you put in, the better chance you have
    of getting that phone call! :) Happy Thanksgiving, and keep your head up. You'll get something
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• It's freaking reality!

I have applied to Taco Bell, Merry Maids, Target etc. I have several years of job experience and was laid off from a job I held for 3 years faithfully. Nobody is crying over the economy for shits and giggles.

Here's a tip I learned. Make sure on all your apps you say you are OPEN for any day/any hour. I was told by several companies that's the first thing they look for.
    There. Was that more helpful?
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:22 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I would have someone help you with your resume- I know you don't have much experience but there are ways to "talk it up" so to speak. Good luck!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Make sure to put on your resume ANY classes you have taken. I looked at your profile, social work/ beauty school/ med assisting? List the classes, kind of by topic: sciences/ math/ business/ whatever. Make sure your grammar and spelling are perfect.
    Think about the kind of job you want to look for and tailor what you want to say to the job, even if it means more than one resume. Can you look for clerical work at a social service agency, or a medical office/ hospital. Do you want to babysit/ help the elderly? Can you waitress? What PP said about being open to all hours is a great tip too.

Good luck and HUGS to you!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Your story sounds like my Mom's. My dad left her with 3 little girls to raise. He got a new family and never understood the whole child support thing. Mom had never had a job.

It will be hard, but hard doesn't mean impossible. Do you have reliable child care? My Mom worked the night shift for years. Don't be afraid to apply for jobs you don't really want. You can always use the experience. Depending on the age of your child and the home you live in...a home daycare might be an option.

Don't just look in the obvious places. Take a good look at what you are good at/what you like to do.........is it possible to start your own business? If you sew you can do alterations...my dry cleaner employs 3 people just for this and I am looking for another.

Lastly, if you are in Oregon and don't mind messaging me with your town...if it is the same as mine I'll give you an interview and maybe a job.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:30 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Thanks everyone for the advice, Yes, I have my diploma. I wished I lived in Oregon, Thanks I am in Michigan. My child that lives with me is 11. I am willing to work any hours or days. Time to head to my sister for thanksgiving will check back in later, again thanks for all the adivce.
    Lisa_Lynn

Comment by Lisa_Lynn (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value: logistics, time management, budgeting, etc. Chances are, you have done some volunteer work, and picked up other skills.

I strongly recommend contacting a community college, and taking a few microsoft office certification classes, especially word, excel and powerpoint; take at least one bookkeeping class, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• You tell the truth. Include your job experience, any volunteer work or classes you took, and the fact you were a sahm.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 26, 2010