Anyone from Wisconsin ever see the part of the potato that's green(russets, usually under the skin)

My friend and I are debating this. She's never seen a potato turn green before.

lizzeh

Asked by lizzeh at 10:54 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm from Washington but I've seen green under the skin..I heard it was bad to eat the green parts but didn't know if that was true, so I did a search on it, here's what I found:

Potatoes naturally contain some amount of the toxin solanine and are members of the nightshade family. When exposed to sunlight, potatoes turn green under the skin and the levels of solanine are increased.
    Most health professionals recommend that any potatoes which have turned green be thrown away. It is probably safe if you just remove the green bits and the eyes or sprouts as they also contain high levels of solanine.
    Reactions to ingestion to solanine can range from mild nausea to convulsive vomiting and diarrhea. High levels cause more severe and life-threatening reactions.

chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 10:59 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Yes, I assume it's rotten and throw it out
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• nope..
    Andeigh

Answer by Andeigh at 11:02 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm from PA and I've seen it. I just cut out that section.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm from Nebraska and yes I have seen that I have heard it's toxic so I just throw them away
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm from MN and occasionally I will see a bit of green under the skin so I cut of that part. Potatoes all over the world can have some green under the skin. LOL.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• They aren't rotten lol. I just peel and cut that part away, but I won't eat the skin.
    lizzeh

Comment by lizzeh (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• i am not from WI and grow my own potatoes and it is not uncommon for them to have green - it is because they were too close to the surface or above ground. as long as you cook it it is fine - but i usually cut at least most of it off because it does taste a little different.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:23 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• oh, and it is not just russets - i have it with any kind of potato i grow, red, yukon gold, white.
    annanonnymommy

• I bought a bag of russets from Woodman's and had a few like that. They are going in the au gratin so they will be all covered with Wisconsin cheddar.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:58 AM on Nov. 25, 2010