Here's a tough question ... be honest with yourself.

What are your thoughts on this quote

The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Honestly I think the term "nationalist" could be replaced with many others and the quote would still have a ring of truth. (from all sides of the spectrum)

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:12 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• It is depressing.
    Happy Thanksgiving anyway.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• "I have noticed that when someone's preferred political party is in office, they remain so loyal to that party that they refuse to admit the wrong that it is doing. I have seen with both Dems and Reps. "

It's a truism, I think. "My country right or wrong" is a variation on that theme,

Answer by gdiamante at 11:15 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I have noticed that when someone's preferred political party is in office, they remain so loyal to that party that they refuse to admit the wrong that it is doing. I have seen with both Dems and Reps.

In the above sense I somewhat agree.  However, there have been times when an elected official from the right of the aisle does something I completely disagree with and think that it's terms for resignation, however I am powerless to do anything about that since I am either not one of their constituents or the fact that it takes a majority to vote them out.  Unfortunately, many elected officials don't really 'get' when it's time to leave the scene.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I see plenty of flaws in our government on all sides of the table.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:48 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• This dates to about the late 1800s-early 1900s, so if you read things prior to this (before 1880s) then you'll get a much more truthful look at history.

Really - you think things written when blacks and women were property give you a more accurate view of what life was like than things written by people who studied their situation objectively?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The man in the picture is George Orwell ... the author of 1984 ... where the term "Big Brother" comes from.

A nationalist is someone who as an unwavering loyalty to a nation. He is saying that the problem with nationalists is that they are so loyal to their nation, that they refuses to see the wrong the nation is committing and/or justifies/condones it.

I have noticed that when someone's preferred political party is in office, they remain so loyal to that party that they refuse to admit the wrong that it is doing. I have seen with both Dems and Reps.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• ahhhh, gotcha.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Sorry, but I have long been a supporter of the USA.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:04 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Anon ... what is ironic about your statement is that Christianity has been misused in order to create nationalism.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2010