Question about making pumpkin pie--help please :)

I do not know how to cook. Seriously, I suck. Anyway, my DH bought stuff to make pumpkin pie. The crusts he bought (graham cracker) say "ready to use" and "may be heated in oven for 5 minutes if desired". However, the recipe for the pie that I'm using calls for the pie to be cooked in the oven (after pouring into the crust/shell/whatever you call it) for an hour. Is it okay to cook the ready to use crust for an hour or will it ruin it?
Thank you!

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 12:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have never used a graham cracker crust for pumpkin pie. They do have ready made frozen crusts that are ready to fill if there are stores open where you live. If not making your own crust is not as bad as you think. Here is a recipe with directions. The main thing to remember is don't handle the crust too much-just push into a ball and roll out and don't add too much water.

http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/making-a-pie-crust-step-by-step/Detail.aspx
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I googled it and it looks like it should be just fine.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• yes, google yourself and check, but I think it's gonna be fine. Good luck. Come back and tell me how it turns out!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Oh, I wanted to add for clarification that the pie crust is NOT frozen. It's one of the room temp. ready to use kind. Thanks.
    vicesix

Comment by vicesix (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• kjrn, I did google it but just kept coming back with results for FROZEN pie crusts. Did you see something about the unfrozen ready to use ones? If so, can you tell me where it was? I was going to make a few of these pies and I'd hate to waste all the ingredients for them if cooking the pie crusts will ruin the whole pie, so that's why I'm kinda uptight about it :) If you have a link or something you saw, I'd love to look at it. Thank you!
    vicesix

Comment by vicesix (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• You want to make the filling then put it in the pie shell and bake in the oven for 50 min to 1hr .
    missytylr32

Answer by missytylr32 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Just make your pumpkin filling and pour it into the pie crust and bake according to the directions
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Reviewed: Nov. 6, 2010 This was sssoooooooooo easy to make. I used a graham cracker pie crust. My family loved it!!
    Was this review helpful? [ YES ]
    1 user found this review helpful

From allrecipes.com, in the review section. I dont' think graham cracker crusts come frozen. Really, it should be fine!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2010