Would it be wrong of my husband to take GED classes and get his GED while collecting Unemployment?

He is 41 yrs old and dropped out at 9th grade. For him to get a better job he needs his GED. By the way he had worked for the same company since we got together in 2001. The only places hiring around here want either a GED or High School Diploma.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Why would that be wrong? It shows that he is trying to get on his feet and get a better job. I think that would be a good thing and I sure he is able to ask the state where he can take the test and help him out on it studying atleast..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• It's never wrong to get an education. As long as he makes himself available for work if it comes his way it's not against unemployment rules

Answer by admckenzie at 12:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• That's the way it's supposed to work. Unemployment is not intended to be a way of life, with benefits that pay month after month for extended periods of time. Unemployment is supposed to be very temporary and very limited. So while he is on unemployment, he takes steps towards gaining future employment, excellent plan!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• No its a smart idea if that is the only way for him to get a job.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 12:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Excellent idea! Getting a GED is him taking the right steps to actively seek work and that's what unemployment is all about.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• @Claudiomom---I ask because so many people think it is wrong and we would be living off the system until he gets his GED and get a good job. He wants to work for our local Juvenile Detention Center but they want a GED, so this is what he is doing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I also think it is a great idea!

Answer by older at 12:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• no one would know (or really care, honestly). Good for him and good luck :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I actually think that's a great idea! He is trying to better himself so he doesn't have to rely on the system! Good for your husband taking the initiative!
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• No, that's awesome!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2010