Mashed potatoes?

I'm counting down....the potatoes will be done soon, and it occurred to me that I hadn't given any thought to doing them "fancier" this year.
I'm thinking maybe a little garlic, but what about bacon?

Do you have any suggestions for "fancier" mashed potatoes?

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I make my potatoes a bit differently from moment one... I do half and half with regular potatoes and small red potatoes. When I peel them I don't worry about doing a great job and there's always a little bit of the skins mixed in... And rather than boiling I bake them before I mash. When I mash I add in Black Pepper, Minced Garlic, Cream Cheese, Chives & Turkey Bacon Crumbles... Then I top them with Cheddar & Fried Onions (like Frenches) and pop them back in the oven til the cheese bubbles...

I'm a little picky about my potatoes... If I had a working oven at the moment, I would be making them right now, cause after typing that up I'm hungry! lol

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Most definately real bacon, no turkey bacon...you won't get the bacon grease taste which is the best part...also, shredded cheese always gives it a bang.

Hey...today is not the day to be putting diet stuff on the table. The more fat, the tastier the dish!! Gobble! Gobble!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• You could also add a little cheese to them. If you have it use heavy cream instead of milk. Some chives sprinkled ontop looks nice as well. Happy Thanksgiving!
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• No, I wouldn't add a thing. I love the taste of simple good mashed potatoes with a little butter and gravy. I wouldn't want any other competing flavors to interfere with the enjoyment of a Thanksgiving dinner.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I use buttermilk, garlic, and cheese in mine. If I have time, sometimes after I mash them I put them in the oven with a mixture of cheese butter and breadcrumbs. My kids love them
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• The cheese sounds great. But I would save the bacon for a time other than Thanksgiving. I'm a purist when it comes to turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2010