How do you make your gravy?

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 2:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Take the pan with the turkey dripping and lay it across your stove and set the heat to medium. Add a little white or blush wine, red gives it a tart taste and scrape the bottom of the pan till it's bubbling just a little and all the yummies are off the bottom. Now, this is the tricky part, little by little and I do mean little by little, add all purpose flower and whisk. The reason I say little by little is that this determines the thickness and only you know how thick you want it and you can only tell that after you thoroughly whisk the amount you've added in. There you go...instant homemade gravy.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 3:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I think the secret to good gravy is to always brown the drippings well... Make sure to stir, stir, ---STIR so they don't burn ! Add some more water, and the flour and water mixture for thickening a little at a time... Stir, stir... Season to taste, use some freshly ground pepper.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 5:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I open a jar...

lol

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My ex used to take the drippings from the pan and throw wondra instant flour into it and stir it up till it thickened, it was really good!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I just have to throw in a little turkey juice into the gravy packet that came with the turkey...its great!....Gravy for dummies lol. Sure makes it easy for me because im clueless when it comes to this lol. Sorry I cant be much more help.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I use the drippings/juice from the pan. Pour it into a pot and add some water. Heat to boiling then thicken with either corn starch mixed with cold water or flour mixed with cold water. That's it. That's how my mom used to make it so that's how I make it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

***********

same here! Yummy
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:43 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I use the veg stock (vegetarian) and add some bisto
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I think the secret to good gravy is to always brown the drippings well... Make sure to stir, stir, ---STIR so they don't burn !

This ^^. We start with a few tablespoons of drippings and enough flour to soak it up. We don't brown it to brown, just to a golden color, and we make ours as a bechamel with some chicken stock added in. It's easier to keep the leftovers that way - they reheat and don't separate like regular gravy will. Also a lot easier when you're making enough gravy for 30. For Thanksgiving, we only add pepper. If we're using it for something else, we'll add more seasoning that matches the flavor profile of the meal (cumin and cayenne if it's Mexican or basil if it's Italian, etc)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:16 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I need a home made recipe.
    Jenaiko01

Comment by Jenaiko01 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2010