if you know anything about military, would this bother you?

a close friend of mine's husband has been deployed since december of last year and will be coming home soon. he's been a real ass while he's been gone, controlling her from the computer and just being an all around dick. my friend has been nothing but faithful but he thinks she's lying about everything and is downright convinced she's cheating on him.

anyway, what bothered me today was his facebook status. he said he worked like 4121 hours this year and the avg. full time employee works 2060. then he went on about how 3740 or some odd number were spent behind a computer, so civilians in the job sector need to stop complaining and shut the hell up.

really? he works as an intelligence analyst. my husband was in infantry while over there, his deployment was 15 months not 12. he did 16 hour foot patrols, sometimes longer and sometimes went days without sleep. he raided houses and worried about stepping on iud's daily. he probably wished for an easy, air conditioned computer desk job on the fob. so do probably half the guys who do the much harder, hands on and dangerous jobs while overseas. agreed, it is hard for anyone to be over there and away from family. but he has no idea what hard is as far as job issues.

military wives.. does this bother you too? or am i the only one who was rubbed the wrong way by it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• The guy sounds like a douche, and unfortunately, your friend is married to him. He sounds like one of those guys who has to win at any cost, has to be the one working the hardest (or at least appear to be). I don't think it's just a military thing. No matter what, he has to one-up you. Try not to let it bother you, just chalk it up to him being an ass and roll yoir eyes. At least you don't have to live with him! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My hubby is military and never really felt that way to my knowledge. There were days where he was just flat out exhausted and stressed out, but thats just apart of the job and he knew that when he signed the dotted line. This guy sounds like a major cry baby with a chip on his shoulder.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm not a military wife, but I agree with musicpisces, the guy sounds like a douche.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• perhaps he suffers from "little man syndrome"

Sounds like it.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 9:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm not a military wife, but I don't think you have to be to be bothered by it. You hit the nail on the head when you said he's an asshole and a dick.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Not a military wife but grew up in a military family. Dont have to be military to be bothered by what he said...but look at who its coming from! Ass whole party of 1!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I'm going to answer this both ways. It DOES sound like this guy has issues, no doubt. In his defense, however, he probably wasn't trying to say that his job is more dangerous/more scary/more exhausting than another military job. If I read it correctly, he was comparing his job to a civilian job, which is a fair comparison.

Sitting behind a desk is not the same as going on patrols, etc, but it is still in a combat zone, away from your family, and people do come under fire inside the wire. Plus, I know that when my husband is in a desk job, he's at that darn desk 14-16 hours a day, and doesn't take weekends off. He's not likely to run into an IED, but it still isn't like he is loafing around a pool somewhere.

KateKashman

Answer by KateKashman at 11:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2010