Final Vote on Food Safety Bill Imminent - Thoughts?

Written by Ann Shibler   
Wednesday, 17 November 2010 14:54

The Senate voted to approve a cloture motion today, November 17, with a 74-25 vote, well above the 60 votes required to limit debate on S. 510. This sets a dangerous precedent and is a momentum builder for passing even more controversial legislation as the lame duck session continues. Clearly, many Republicans crossed the aisle for this very unconstitutional bill.  The Food Safety Act can now be brought to the floor any day now for a final vote by the Senate. Only a simple majority will be required for passage.

S. 510 calls for enhanced expansion of FDA authority over small farms, ranches, and other food producers; establishes burdensome administrative requirements for large and small operations, and an arbitrary legal authority to recall “unsafe medications,” the definition of which is not clearly established. Under S. 510 more power would be granted to an unaccountable agency, hyper-regulating small producers out of business, leaving the industrial food system that currently has the highest number of food safety problems, to commandeer the marketplace. 

This massive expansion of government regulation of the food industry, completely unauthorized by the Constitution, would limit the right to produce, distribute, and consume the foods of one's labors and choice. The constant refrain of "safety" is no excuse for granting practically unlimited authority to an unaccountable bureaucracy.

For more details on the specifics of the bill see our legislative alert. Click here to see how your senators voted on the cloture motion on November 17.

If you believe food safety is best achieved at the local level, contact your senators immediately to express your opposition to such plans. Have them do everything in their power to defeat S. 510.

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This is one that I've been watching closely because ... I have a farm. There is an amendment attached to it that excludes farmers who make less than $500,000 a year and sell directly to customers within 275 miles or within the state the farm is in. That means if you sell at a farmer's market or from a roadside stand, etc. small farmers will be mostly exempt from the paperwork/costs. There is a provision that was added to allow the FDA to override the exemption if a disease outbreak traces to a small farm.

The BAD part is that most of the actual bill hasn't been written yet ~ and won't be until sometime within a year after it passes. Also, this is only the Senate. It still has to pass in the House. Personally, I am against this all the way. The ones that need regulating and watching are the mass producers, the food processing plants, and the GMO fiends that are selling paste and calling it 'food'.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• If you can control the food supply you can control the people. We see this in 3rd world countries all over the globe.

I don't like it one bit.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I think this shit is pushing us closer to the edge of a new revolt.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I think it's ridiculous. They don't want us to grow our own food...they want us to buy all their GMO crap. Soon enough, it'll be illegal to have backyard gardens.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• it makes me soo sick... i posted about this yesterday..
    Id like to know what they are thinking & it makes me so sick cause when i go through the list the majority of people voting against is republican.. So what are the Dems thinking?!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• This list is ... interesting. It shows who voted for/against it, and how much they were 'bribed' (not my use, but I agree lol) and how much they got for voting accordingly.

http://www.libertynewsonline.com/article_301_29693.php

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• This has been tried in one form or another several times already ~ and it ticked me off each time they tried it. It's also why I grow/raise my own food, why I push heirloom veggies and fruits, and why I rant about Monsanto and similar ick/ilk.

Agreed yourspecial. The gubmint completely taking over (or even mostly) our food supply, or strictly regulating what individuals could grow/process for their own use would be the one thing to put me over the top ... it would either be time to revolt or pack up and move to someplace that had no gubmint except that which 'I' enforced on my own small parcel somewhere.

I am firmly convinced that most of our illness (especially heart, BP, and even obesity) stems directly from processed, GMO, feedlots, gov't. food pyramid ~ and nothing will convince me to eat according to what 'they' say is healthy, or what they make available.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• does this not exclude local/ private farmers?
    (2) require that each person (excluding farms and restaurants) who manufactures, processes, packs, distributes, receives, holds, or imports an article of food permit inspection of his or her records if the Secretary believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to such food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Wow, someone voted me down? Must be a hater.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:03 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

It doesn't specifically state it, but the language is broad enough to include them if they wanted.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2010