How do you decide who's family to go to for Thanksgiving?

I was just wondering how you all handle the decision of which house to go to for Thanksgiving?

Deannasword

Asked by Deannasword at 5:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• go to one family house for Thanksgiving and the other for Christmas
    darleneb03

Answer by darleneb03 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• We end up spending every single holiday with my husband's mom. My parents live pretty far and have a very small house, so it's not really company friendly. If they are able to come here my MIL invites herself to our house for the holiday. If I say I want a nice quiet holiday at home, she invites herself (and the quiet goes out the window). For us, it's usually better to go to her and be able to leave because when she it here she stays for days. BUT, today she mentioned she is now allergic to pet hair and was broken out for a week after she left our house last time. Whoo Hoo! I can only hope this will reduce her extended stays. (Yes, I'm evil, I know, but I can live with that). LOL

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Both sides usually come to us. If DH and I don't organize something, then no one will do it. This year I was feeling selfish and told DH I wanted to take the kids up skiing. Then a friend asked us over. The kids decided on the friend's house. We can go skiing over winter break. I'll make dinner for our moms tomorrow night.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• We are military and don't live any were near family. So we just rotate houses. This year Thanksgiving is at home, since we just moved here. Christmas will be my ILs. Last year we went to my Parents, and visited my BIL and my IL came up to there house. It was a whirl wind but nice to see everybody. Next year we are going to go up to my SIL and other BIL for Thanksgiving and my Parents are looking at coming here.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• If we were traveling this year, we would go to my mom's. My MIL does not cook anymore and her house is not very kid friendly, so we don't spend too much time over there at all.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• We always used to go to my mom, as his parents lived a few hours away. But now they moved back home. I talked to my mom about it, and she said she didn't care what we did for other holidays, but she would like Thanksgiving. So we go there for Thanksgiving, go everywhere between Christmas eve and Christmas day and I host Easter at my house for DH's family.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Scoutmom, is it time to get another cat lol?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My family does a lunch thing so we go with my family from like12 till 4 then his family does dinner so we do like 6-10. BUT this Thanksgiving, my fiance' had to work so me and my dd just went to my family's thing YAY. ( she is not his, even though he treats her like she is, his parents don't and his parents and I aren't on the best of terms)
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• We all live in the same town, so we go to my family for lunch and his family for supper.

Answer by missanc at 9:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2010