Question about Mono...

So, when I was in college, I had mono...been there and done that.

I go to the Minute Clinic here because I've been running a fever, had a headache, and my throat is bright red. I automatically think strep. Well, everyone in my house is sick, and my DH is just a hypochondriac. Well, they tested me for strep, flu, and mono.

Mono is positive.
Question 1: I thought you could only get mono once, anyone else know anything different?

question 2: My DH now thinks that since I have mono, that he and my DD has mono. If anyone knows anything about this disease, it's like a million to one chance that all three of us would have it at the same time. Or is that untrue?

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Health

• It is contagious, but how much for your child vs your DH (especially if you have been, um, kissing.)

Did you definitively, you know, blood test positive have it in college? Because I thought it was a one time and you're done thing as well. If so, then you might be in the lucky minority who can get it more than once.

If DH and DD are having similar symptoms, have them tested, it's the only way to know for sure.

Feel better!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My niece currently has mono. The doctor told my sis it's a one time thing.
    As for contagious, I'm not sure. No one else in my sis's family of 2 adults and four kids have gotten it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I had the blood test.

I called back and said that I thought you could only have it once. My Doc said no, there are multiple strans of this virus and it'll just lay dormant and flare back up.

It's like...seriously?

My Doc also stated that us having mono at the exact same time is unlikely, but they should be tested, so, I'm taking my DD to the pedi tomorrow.
    Chloesmom1126

Comment by Chloesmom1126 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• When I had Mono about 5 years ago they told me it was something I would have the rest of my life, but that the symptoms would go away. Yeah, that was a rotten 4 wks of sleeping, no appetite, etc.

I didn't realize it could flare up again...that's scary. I would think you would have to be exposed to a different strain of the virus before you could become sick with a different strain, so unless you're exposed, it could just be that since you had it when you were younger, you'll test positive forever, and it could just be the flu you have now. I dunno, but GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• They tested me for the flu and strep...both negative.

I seriously feel like someone beat the hell outta me.
    Chloesmom1126

Comment by Chloesmom1126 (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• sorry to hear that, guess i was mistaken, i thought it was a one time thng too!
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:46 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Get some elderberry syrup; it is a fantastic anti-viral.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Once you have mono, you will always have it, only the symptoms may come and go and it can take a year or more before you start feeling better again. Yes more than one person in you family can have it at the same time, due to kidding sharing drinks/cups/utensils/sharing food. Some people never fully recover.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I've had mono twice!

I also thought once you've had mono, you'll always test poitive for it. I could be totally wrong on that, but that's what I remember being told.
    MrsBlack530

Answer by MrsBlack530 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2010