where can I start to get help about my depression

I feel worse and worse everyday. I am starting to have thoughts that my family would be better off with out me. I know I need help, but I don't even know where to start. The last time this happened I want to the crisis center, but it isn't that bad and I don't want it to get that bad which is why I want to get help now

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 6:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Health

• Make an appointment with a counselor, a psychologist or a psychiatrist, for an evaluation. They will guide you to the next step.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Start with your doctor. Maybe she/he can recommend a therapist. If not, just start calling therapists. That's what I did. Mine was wonderful.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• It's best to get help before a crisis. Do you have a counselor you can go to or call the crisis center and get a referral? Until then, my doctor has me take Vit B complex until I can get in and talk about things.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'd go to your doctors, generally they'll assess how you are themselves and, if they have cause for concern, they'll refer you to someone else that can help. Also, have you told anyone close about this? Sometimes having a close friend/partner there for you makes everything a little more bearable (even if they can't fix it entirely).
    losing_control

Answer by losing_control at 6:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Your primary doctor is always a good start. He/She can probably refer you to where you need to go. I hope you get help with this soon. I know depression is a terrible thing, especially around the Holidays. Best of luck to you
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Just as the first poster stated, by seeing a mental health professional.
    So often, your medical doctor will simply tell you to take medication - they are physical health specialists, not mental health specialists.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I agree with the above answers. Having had depression, anxiety disorder and insomnia, I've found several answers. I suffered from age 16-38 on and off but never got help! Finally, after my left me with my 7-yr-old son, I got counseling, 1st a p. I think that knowing I would be believed helped immensely. When I was a teen, my mother just scorned "depression." Now, counseling should be available for everyone - rich or poor. Depression can be the result of many factors like chemical imbalances, low self-esteem, disasters, war and even a car wreck!t Just make that first appointment and let it the professional know how deeply this is affecting your life and that you feel that you need some help to get through this. A doctor, or a psychiatrist are probably the best places to begin your healing process.
    bleuidgramma

Answer by bleuidgramma at 7:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I have been going through the same thing so I went to my family doctor and asked for help so right now we are expiramenting with different meds. I wish you luck hun and if you need to talk im here maybe we can help each other
    NevansMommy

Answer by NevansMommy at 8:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• What I did, was make an appointment with my family phycision and told her I think I'm depressed and need help...she listened, gave me a prescription for anti-deppressants and I also asked her if she could recommend a counselor for me, and she did. So from there, I made the appointment with the counselor, and told them I needed help with depression. That was 2 months ago. Best wishes to you, darling. I know the feeling, and didn't know what to do, either.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Do you have a free clinic in your area? They may be able to help you.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2010