how do I get my 2 year old to stop playing gun type games

I live with my sister and her 6 year old. The 6 year old is very into gun type games - pointing something at someone and saying "this is my gun pow pow pow". My son worships his cousin and has started to imitate his behaviour. I am pretty sure he has no idea what a gun even is, but either way I want it too stop. how can I stop it when his cousin is allowed to do it and he sees him every day?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 7:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Say "we don't play that. Its not nice because guns hurt. We don't want to hurt our friends" Our kiddo started doing this after being around other kids, but has since stopped.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Correct the behavior EVERY TIME you see it. Don't let it slide! I would also talk to your sister about it and try to discourage her child from the behavior as well if she doesn't mind... Maybe she's not seeing an issue, or maybe she is & just doesn't know what to do about it either.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• You tell him not to, you tell him why, and you redirect him - every time. Even though the other family is there, you are this child's parent and it's ok for you to tell him what is and is not allowed.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm afraid there is not much you can do while you live there. Even if all guns are taken away from him, he's going to use a Lincoln log or whatever and "shoot" it like a gun. Studies have proven this time and time again.  Sorry, that isn't what you want to hear, but America is very much a gun culture.

Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• they say (therapists ?)
    that if a child is palying hero with gun it is ok
    maybe this is to help the parent deal with gun issue
    but not a bad start, teaching lesson of right and wrong ??
    he can play policeman?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• You can try to redirect their attention to a different game or something more fun. It could just be a phase the 6 year old is going through. Do they watch a lot of tv? Monitor what they watch.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 7:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. It won't make him violent or even advocate violence when older.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I just make sure to tell my sons we never point guns at people...no matter what...they can play with their nerf guns but the minute they point it at each other or anyone else the gun is gone b/c it's not responsible. That's how I was raised...we could play with them but I remember the seriousness of my dad's voice as he would repeatedly tell us we could never point them at anyone. Guns are for hunting in our neck of the woods...lol...so my kids go out in the backyard and shoot imaginary deer and whatnot...I don't think that's a big deal.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2010