I'm breastfeeding & my son is starting to sleep longer at night causing pain & leakage?

My son has been sleeping up to 6 hours at night at a time lately.
Which is great for me to get some sleep but not so great for my breast.
I either wake up in pain or from my shirt being soaked!
When will my body begin to realize he is skipping a meal or two or does it even do that?
And will this hurt my supply any?
Thank You

Tristainsmamma

Asked by Tristainsmamma at 7:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give your breasts time to adjust, and wear some breast pads (or if that's not enough, put a towel on the bed). They really will adjust with time (even though I'm sure it feels like they never will). Don't get up and pump, or they will continue to produce during that time. Biology is an amazing thing, and breastfeeding is all about supply and demand, so give them a chance and they'll figure it out. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:29 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Your supply will adjust, it shouldn't take too long. It will not damage your supply. If you wake up in PAIN, you can express JUST ENOUGH to be comfortable, any more then that will tell your body to KEEP making milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I agree that your body will adjust soon. If you get up and pump your body will never adjust. Try sleeping with a sleep nursing bra on with pads and a sheet protector under you.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Your body will adjust. I personally started pumping at night when DD began going 8+ hours. I would pump at 6. I had to work at keeping my supply up though since I had to work and pump 4 days a week.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2010