What's good and what's bad?

At what age do you start pureeing your own foods like mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas...etc. And what other types of food can they have that you can puree?

thutch21

Asked by thutch21 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Solids should be introduced no sooner then 6 mos, and they can eat a lot of things that you eat too. :) Many you don't even need to puree, just mash, or steam and fork mash.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• according to pediatricians, wic, etc your baby is supposed to start solids at 4 months if formula fed, 6 months if breastfed. all babies are different though, your baby's body will tell you if they're ready. i believe it's recommended to start with veggies (peas, carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes) and introduce fruits (bananas, applesauce) after so they don't snub away the veggies. when you first introduce your child to solids, introduce them one food for like 4 days before switching to a new food to be sure they don't have food allergies and to know which food they are allergic to if they do have food allergies.
    cheribabii613

Answer by cheribabii613 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Wait until your baby is ready for solids -- able to sit, can pick up small objects, uses the pincer grasp (thumb and forefinger), etc. -- though breastmilk/formula should still be the main source of nutrition for the whole first year. At that point, you can give your baby pretty much whatever you eat. You can puree it if you want, or you can just make sure it's easily mashable and a good size for a baby to pick up and eat, and just let them have at it.

My daughter didn't start solids until 7.5 months, at which point she went straight to table foods, like I described. It's by far the easiest way to do it -- no extra money for special food for baby, no extra time to prepare food or feed baby. Google "baby led solids".
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• check out wholesomebabyfood.com! its a great site!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Thank you ladies I appreciate it...My son will be 8 months in December....the only reason I asked was because my MIL that annoys me at times keeps telling us that we do things different from when she was raising my DH....and I keep trying to tell her that we aren't like her and that we are obiding by the doctor but she doesn't listen....my son eats his jarred foods, he on the seconds and thirds, but the DH wanted to try the mashed sweet potatoes from our thanksgiving dinner!
    thutch21

Comment by thutch21 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• If your son is 8 months, he should definitely be able to have some mashed sweet potatoes. By 8 months, all 4 of my older kids were on table foods.

Answer by missanc at 9:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• thank you missanc....we just wanted to be sure...it's my first little one!
    thutch21

Comment by thutch21 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• i think 6 months till solid food
    knjones

Answer by knjones at 12:26 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I agree with these guys. He's ready! We started at 6 months, and I made all of his baby food. By 8 months, he was getting some of what we were eating. Follow your instincts and watch out for choking hazards. Go organic when you can, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:27 AM on Nov. 26, 2010