Allergies

I have a 2 yr old daughter approx 33 lbs. I don't know what she has become allergic too. There have been no new items brought into our home, I have very sensitive skin, so I tend to stick with the soap i been using, and my daughter has been using sincer shes been born. I got a rash from that laundry soap "dreft" I think it is, couldn't belive that one., Anyway, her eyes are real red, sneezing like someone put pepper under her nose, skin around the eyes are red and puffy. Basically she looks like some babies look after they just got done crying real hard like if they were hurt nor throwing a temper tantrum. I can't for ther life of me figure out what is bugging her allergies. We have a dog and a cat, but we have had them when she was born. Besides benadryl, is there anything else that help her?  Any advise on allergy testing?  I had one many years ago and it was real painful for me.  Does the doc give anything for the toddlers to perhaps ease the pain a little?  Can I give her something to her if she does get a allergy test?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I was born in a family that had cats. I became allergic at age 3 and we had to give them up. Dander is the worst! To find out what she is truly allergic to, I would take her to an allergist to have tests. This way you know for sure what is triggering them. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I don't know if they make nasal spray for wee ones.. but that might help? That's too bad :( Maybe it's the changing of the seasons? My allergies tend to kick up big time once I settle into the house for the cold weather (but I realize not everyone lives in Maine climates.. so disregard this is you're lucky enough to live in, say, Florida?!)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Also, when I was younger, my parents used to put warm tea bags on my eyes for a few minutes at a time to help the poofiness go down.. I don't know if that actually worked, but it was like torture for me.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• if there's nothing new, i would suggest that maybe it's a sinus infection, or a change in the weather that's bothering her.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:59 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Well I used to live in florida, but I live in Michigan now. As for tea bags, I doubt I can make my daughter stay still long enough for thise to work. I barely get her to stand still when I am changing her!!. As for a sinus infection, I do not think so, its been goinmg this way for almost 2 months. Her doc is hestaint to do a allergy test on her cause it can be painful, and I had one once and I don't think i can bear to hear scream. Its still hard for me to see her get her routine shots!! But since it appears to be getting no better, I might have to schedule one anyway.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I don't have any good advice for you, allergies are terrible, but I wanted to send you some good wishes & hope you find the cause(s) soon!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:15 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Are you sure it's allergies and not some sort of cold? Good luck.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Its not a cold. Because when we go to the store or Wal-mart or where ever, she starts to clear up a little and is not sneezing or trying to rub her nose of her face. When we get home, then its different. So I know at least its something in here, I believe it is probably animal dander.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2010