Help! What could this be?

I plan to call my Dr. tomorrow, & had my cousin who's a nurse look at it already & she's stumped. Have any of you had a lump on your back (near the shoulder blade) It's about the size of a plum, no bruising or soreness & no bug bite. I'm afraid I'm gonna turn into a hunchback! And I hope it can be drained rather than cut off. Have any of you experienced something like this?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Health

• I get these things on my head; and sometimes my wrists! They are always diagnosed as "sebaceous cysts" . I have had them cut out of my head when they get so big that they are visible; and occasionally one just pops and I get all this pus and junk like a white waxy stuff that get all over my hair! Yuck! They might have to cut it out; but it doesn't hurt much; they give you a shot of lidocaine or something to numb the area and it just take a quick slice from the scalpel. The last one that I had cut out looked like a little pearl onlion!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It could be a lymph node, especially if you did recently have your cycle.
    Recently though my mom noticed that she has a lump on her back around that size, it doesn't hurt her, it's soft and she can move it. Her doctor sent her to a general surgeon and after doing all the basic test's, they have told her that it could be a calcification. But he seems to think that is just a build up of fatty tissue. The doctor's said that fat build up's like that are very common, whether your thin or plus size. They told her it's nothing to worry about health wise, but she is going to have it removed (does have to be cut off) because she hates that it's so noticeable. Hope every thing goes well and good luck.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 9:15 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Sorry, I've never experienced anything like that. Just wanted to say good luck and I hope they are able to help without a hectic procedure! (HUGS)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• can you move it around, or does it sit tight under your skin? And how big is it?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Anyhow, it could be a number of things. It could be an inflamed lymph node (we have hundreds all over our body) It could be a calcification, which is a calcium deposit & they are harmless. It could be a tumor, but lets just say it's not. Could be inflamation of the muscles or joints, you culd have been bit by something & had an allergic reaction. It's not always obvious if it's a bug bite, sometimes people get bit & never ever know it. It could be a super huge clogged pore, or ingrown hair. Really...only a professional wil be able to determin what it is.

I ask if it moves, because that small bit of info can get you a lot more answers if you google correctly. The fact that it moves or not, will elliminate a bunch of causes.

Just saw that it's about as big as a plum.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Yes, I can move it. It doesnt hurt. And my lymph nodes do go crazy on me around my cycle. But I've never experienced something like this. I will google it & call the Dr. in the morning. Thanks ladies.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• could be a cyst.. i know lots of people who have had them everywhere! they move, dont hurt, and if just left they can get very big!.. but then again, could be anything else!!! good luck!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 10:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• hope it's nothing, i would say cyst...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2010