Did you brine your turkey?

I'm thinking of doing this for Christmas and wondering if anyone has tried it and if it makes a big difference.
turkey dinner  Thanks!

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 10:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes - we do every year now since the first time we tried it. The difference is huge. We stick to the Alton Brown method - brine, aromatics inside, then start it high for a half hour and then turn it down to 350 instead of doing it the other way around and drying it out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• i have never done it, but i want to. i accidently bought a turkey that had already been injected with sodium, so i didn't want to risk it being too salty. for christmas, definitely though.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• No, because it is too salty and some of us have to avoid salty foods such as brined turkey, ham etc.We roast the turkey and don't add salt to anything .
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• nope...season it up good throw it in the roasting pan and let it go.....i do wrap the feet up though so they don't cook to death
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• No, we roasted our turkey in an electric roaster and like NotPanicking, I had it on for the first 45 minutes and then turned it down to 325. It only took 3.5 hours to roast a 16.5lb turkey to exactly 180 degrees. It was so juicy. We celebrated yesterday due to schedules. I made myself an open faced turkey sandwich today and YUMM....it's still so moist and juicy.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• *I had it on 450 for the first 45 minutes......I don't know what happened there.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• We did it for 2 years running the Martha Stewart way. It came out very flavorful, but last year we were told to try the oven bags instead because they come out great with less work. She was right; it did turn out well, albeit maybe not as multi-faceted in flavor. I didn't know that Alton Brown had a method! Now, I think I should try that next time! He is so great!
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 11:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• not yet, but i still have 2 turkeys in my freezer so i am hoping later this winter to try one!
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 2:11 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Actually, I'm trying to avoid the "no salt" kind of cooking. Everything my MIL cooks is so bland because she won't season anything. And the turkey was so dry and nasty at Thanksgiving I'm really looking for something to make a good bird.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We all use the oven bag ,in the roasting pan ,and the turkey is always so juicy and flavorful...and healthy because we don't add salt.
    Some day salt might be a real health hazard to everyone who is still young and thinks they will live forever. It raises your blood pressure.....to an extent that you could have a stroke. Try salt-free cooking while you are still healthy!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2010