Is Thanksgiving just an excuse for glutany?

Do you feel that Thanksgiving is just an excuse for our already bloated country to stuff our expanding bellies even more? And then it's the start of the commercialization of Christmas. The true meaning of it all seems lost.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This isn't the case with my family. Thanksgiving is a time for us to share a special meal..things we only prepare once a year. The meal preparation is a family affair we all enjoy. We also go to Mass, watch the Macy's parade and remember what we are thankful for.

Christmas in our family isn't about "getting" it is about the birth of Christ. We do enjoy giving gifts, special meals and get togethers. But, the foundation of Christmas is CHRIST and that is first and foremost in our family.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• IDK about yours, but my family actually eats less on a holiday like today than they do on a normal day (mostly because we only eat twice because of when we eat). Our portions are no different than for a regular meal. I wouldn't assume that most people are glutons on Thanksgiving. It's usually a large group of people (usually family or close friends) that have different tastes, thus a larger variation of dishes. Then again, I am not one that tries to find the bad in things before I look for the good.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Wow cheri, way to be a downer.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 10:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Okay, I cook a lot more food for Thanksgiving dinner than I would cook for a regular meal. But we do not load up our plates with full servings of anything, either, just a spoon of this and that. I cook things that I cook only for Thanksgiving, so they are special occasion foods. And I also do not cook for the rest of the weekend. We eat leftovers until Monday. That's the rule here. Mom deserves some time off from kitchen duty. ;)

We also spend time creating a page in our Thankful Book. Each of us makes a list of what we are thankful for this year, then I let the kids decorate the page around the lists.

So, here, it's not about gluttony. It's about thankfulness and family and bounty and tradition. The food is just bonus.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• cheribab, you are a victim of public school aren't you??

And for many people there is a lot of meaning. It gives families a much need chance to be together, which is the most important thing of all.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• No, I think Thanksgiving is an excuse for family to get together, especially distant family because of the 4 day weekend. Maybe you stuff your fat face, but I don't stuff my face nor am I fat.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I think anon is an excuse to be a troll.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Nope. I don't have a problem with occasional gluttony.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 10:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Remember as you're stuffing your fat faces that this holiday originated because a bunch of little men in funny suits/hats came to this country and failed at growing corn. The indians came and saw they were starving so they said "next year try putting a dead fish in the soil before you plant your corn". The pilgrims thanked them kindly, then realized they were screwed THIS year. They then decided to kill the indians and take their food..then use their advice next year
    ___________________
    While this is all true, keep in mind, if it weren't for them, you wouldn't be here. Kinda of a sucky Catch-22, isn't it?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• For me thanksgiving has great ideals behind it, but really it's just a huge meal of badly cooked food with people I would rather not spend the day with. I am thankful everyday for my husband and our daughters and so many other things. I guess I can also be thankful that since my MIL is such a bad cook that it's not a day of gluttony for me!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2010