What am i doing wrong? Breast feeding 6 day old infant.

Ive been breast feeding my baby and he seems to be eating enough since he is right on schedule with the amount of dirty and wet diapers he does but just the last two days Ive been having to breast feed him more and more frequently going from every three hours to now every hour or half hour at a time. He starts to cry and throw a fit while attempting to suckle on his own arm or hands. Now thats no problem but when I go to latch him on he gets a good latch just as my lactation nurse instructed but he quickly spits it out makes a face like I just put a lemon in his mouth, shakes his head and pushes away from my breast. So I put him down but he continues to throw a fit and attemts to suckle his arm this goes on about three to four times before he finally latches. Mind you each time he initialy latches I just about pee myself from the pain. Whats worst is that he only feeds now for 10 minutes at a time and flat out spits out the nipple and falls asleep. HELP!

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 10:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when you bf, your baby gets somewhat of a taste of what you're eating. he may not like the taste of your breastmilk, especially if you're eating something spicy, sour, etc. also, he may be going through a little growth spurt. if you can, hang in there and both of you will get used to it. if not, formula feeding is an option (although some people on here would disagree).
    cheribabii613

Answer by cheribabii613 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My boys acted like that because they had reflux, and pulling back and arching the back helps to kill the pain. My GI specialist said it closes a valve to stop the flow of acid back up. They would be so hungry, but eating caused pain.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• One more possibility is that you might have a very forceful letdown. Changing to a position where the milk flows against gravity can sometimes make a world of difference.
    I should also add that if you suspect reflux at all, talk to your doctor before you consider trying formula. The chemicals in formula can expand and force the acid upward, making reflux more painful.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Relax.... he's figuring things out just llike you are. He's not 100% comfy and he's not sure if he's hungry, or he has to fart or has to poop, or maybe he's just scared of all of the new stuff that's been happening.
    The point... relax and trust in nature. You have what he needs... you just need to get to know each other better before you figure out exactly what that is and that takes time... it doesn't happen overnight.
    BTW... congrats!!!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• also your colostrum should be gone by now so he isn't getting the same "rich" milk as he was a few days ago. He may not actually be hungry though, have you tried using a pacifier/binky? He may not be able to get a latch on whatever body part he is sucking on thats why he is throwing a fit and pushing you away because he isn't actually hungry. What you eat does come out in breastmilk, but unless he is sensitive to it, it doesn't really make a difference besides key things like alcohol and what not. It sounds more like he isn't hungry, I would seriously invest in a pacifier or use the one from the hospital if you got one and see if that helps. Its a babies coping mechanism. Good luck momma, hang in there. Your nipples will hurt because they are building up the calluses. you just started it takes time. Try some lanolin, its safe for baby and a warm compress to help soothe them. PM me for more help if you want.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• "Once he had the bottle he began to flat out refuse me. Now he is three days old and home and hasnt eaten since his last bottle at the hospital about 8 hours ago and prefers to sleep as apose to breast fed from me. All I am still producing is colostrum."

Taken from another question you posted- I'm gonna say it's the bottle. After my now 2 year old had a bottle at the hospital she refused my breast. I continued to try for weeks, and ultimately gave up. I was so upset with myself for not being able to breastfeed my baby- but do not get yourself all upset over it. I wanted so badly to breastfeed her but it just didn't work out. What the lactation consultant her told me after I spoke with her several times and cried in frustration is " Babies want happy mommies. It's not worth getting this upset over." I gave up and switched her to formula and it saved my sanity. She is happy and healthy. No harm done. cont.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Call your local lactation consultant and they will be happy to help you. The nurses here at our hospital don't know much about breastfeeding and were no help at all. One told me I had flat nipples- they are not flat. They tried to get me to use some sort of rubber nipple over my nipple- waste of time. She was able to latch in the hospital but the pediatrician said "She's not peeing enough- give her a bottle." So I did and I still regret that to this day. She is doing wonderfully. Whatever you decide to do is the right thing. I wish I had females in my family that breastfed when I was younger I had no idea how to do it and gave it my best shot. Call TOMORROW though and see if you can get ahold of someone.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• well, it might be a growth spurt. that's how my babies always acted. and about only nursing for 10 minutes: all four of my children have always nursed about 5 minutes or less. they were all above the 90th percentile in weight. so i wouldn't worry about that. to get help with latching on, see a lactation specialist. the first 2-4 weeks of breastfeeding will be difficult. but don't give up! if you haven't already, join a breastfeeding support group on here. good luck!
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• btw... I'm a certified Doula and a certified Lactation Counselor.. :)
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Is he getting a bottle or pacifier?

Other than that, it sounds like a growth spurt. Increased frequency may be due to that... or he may just want to eat more often. Babies can nurse every 45 minutes in some cases... so every 90 is definitely very normal. The latch on, latch off, latch on is growth spurt behavior. It actually increases milk supply.

It *is* early for it... so if he has been getting a bottle I'd think nipple confusion first, combined with him coming out of the "just born" stupor and wanting to nurse more frequently. Does it hurt throughout the session or just at first? If it's just at first, hang in there... it will get better.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:02 AM on Nov. 26, 2010