unhappy at 12

my 12 year old daughter is always mad at the world, she gets upset and runs to her room. If I do not pay attention to her every moment and give her everything she wants she is mad for hours. do i let her go off to be by herself or make her stay even when she is mad

mommydown

Asked by mommydown at 10:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• it's normal..... let her run off in her room but dont give in to everything she wants
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 10:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Let her go off to be alone but keep an eye on her. It kind of sounds like she is used to undivided attention and you are just not able to give it to her all the time. She is old enough to entertain herself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• This is my 4th tween... and they run off mad and usually come back later acting like nothing happened or wanting to talk about the problem like a "normal" person. The 3 oldest and I get along pretty well now. Somehow we make it through.lol.
    starflower57

Answer by starflower57 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I don't allow my daughter to run off to her room, when she dosen't like something. eventually I will tell her she can go, but not right away. I talk to her about it first, and tell her in life you can't run away when things don't go your way. I don't want her to think that she can run off and slam her door just because she is angry. We always talk first.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 10:46 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Welcome to the wonderful world of teenage hormones! There's ups, there's downs & everything is a big deal! You will need to get out her baby pics from time to time to remember why you love her & still keep her around! LOL! Good luck :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I show the child the respect I'd want her to show me if I were angry. Being alone allows her to think. Later I'd talk to her a bit and teach her better coping skills but do it when she's not angry or she won't listen.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Teenagers seem to get mad at everybody and everything when things don't exactly go their way. It's just part of being a teenager.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2010