Do you think pull-ups are necessary when potty training?

My son takes his diaper off and throws it in the trash, then goes pee but doesnt want me to put on another diaper. I am wondering if I should just go to underwear, or buy the pull ups. they do cost a lot.

krazybabe77782

Asked by krazybabe77782 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pull ups can range in price (like all diapers) usually around $10 a pack.. if he's throwing the diapers away, try getting a small pack of underwear and putting them on him at home during the day and get a pack of pull ups for when you go out or at bed time. good luck! :)
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I did underwear, or cloth training pants. I heard Pull Ups are too much like diapers and they don't feel wet, which helps them train. Plus, they aren't that easy to get up and down. I tried them at night and they leaked badly. I just think they're a waste of money.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• No, the only thing is, is that they can get them off easier, which (Especially in the beginning) is not really a good thing. =) GL
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I used pull ups when first trying to potty train my son and they didn't work. They are, essentially, diapers. I'd go to the training pants. They feel differently than diapers so kids know they need to change something.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• NO!! I've heard nothing but bad reviews from people who have used them. They're just expensive diapers.
    Go straight for the underwear. Have you looked into the 3 Day Method? It worked wonders for us! I have the ebook if you're interested.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:00 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Necessary no, convenient yet. I have used them with all 3 of mine for a period then moved them to training panties with plastic ones over. Then just too panties.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:33 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The only difference with diapers and pull-ups is the way they go on. I would reccomend doing underwear. Yes there will be accidents at first, but thats what we have washing machines for. My son hasn't had an accident in a month now, but I still have an extra set of clothes in the car for accidents. As for night time, just stick with diapers. I went out and bought the cheap kind since he only wears them for nap and bed time. Good luck, hope you find what works out for you!!!!

Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 2:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The answer to your original question is NO.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Pull-ups are OK as a way to signal "you're not using diapers anymore" for naps and bedtime, but for waking time potty training?—skip them and go straight to the underpants.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:50 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We used pull-ups at night and over the underwear, if he had accidents then it would not be on my carpet. But with them being over the underwear, he still felt it when he peed on himself.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2010