is it good to start the cry it out method on a 5 week old baby?

Heavenbrwneyez

Asked by Heavenbrwneyez at 11:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• omg no! babies cry because they can't talk and that's their way of letting you know they need something...like a bottle, diaper change, or just attention
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Wtf! A 5 week old baby does not cry because they feel like it. They cry because they are uncomfortable. They need something.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• No, because they are too young to understand, too young to have developed an adequate trust level, and too young to know how to self soothe. A 5 week old doesn't understand why you're not taking care of the problem. Minimum for CIO I'd say is 3 months, but many people wait until 6. You also can't expect a 5 week old to sleep through the night, that may or may not start around 8weeks.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Uh no. Grow up and actually parent your child instead of letting him or her cry while you sit and watch tv or whatever it is you think is more important than holding your kid.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• IMO no.. at this stage they don't even really "Want" attention, they NEED it.. they only cry when they need something or if they are hurting or to hot or too cold.. Things like that. =) GL
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Whoa Sara...chill out!

The saying is, newborns can't be spoiled. Sometimes babies won't stop crying no matter what you do. If you need to let her/him cry and take a break, that's fine, but they aren't developed enough to learn what you are doing and need you there for security. I heard 3 months was when you can start trying, but I would even wait longer than that.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm not a fan of CIO in general, but especially for a baby that young! No way!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My son cried constantly when he was that young, it was very stressful and at times when I had tried everything I had to let him cry. Ask your baby's doctor because I found out my son had colic and that's why he always cried. When I changed his formula he stopped crying s much. I'm sorry that people answered your question harshly and maybe this will hep some. Being a new mom is stressful and the crying is difficult to deal with but do as much as you can and keep trying. When baby's are this young it's more difficult to figure out whats wrong and its kind of a trial and error. But the older your baby gets you will be able to just know what to do. I hope things get better :)
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Thank you so much ! I will have to ask her doctor !!
    Heavenbrwneyez

Comment by Heavenbrwneyez (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Oh my gosh no! Just hold your baby and try to remember that it knows no comfort but you. She will adjust as she gets older...enjoy this time with your little one...it goes by so very fast!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:46 AM on Nov. 26, 2010