Do you really enjoy...

Thanksgiving?I love the day for what its about and I am just thankful for everything.and never take an event with family or friends for granted.I'm am blessed,just to be breathing and alive,but I'm just so tired of all the work,shopping for the food,making the food,cleaning before and a big mess left for me to do.So I'm just wore out every year afterwards.That I just would like to just one year go out to Eat or at least get a break to visit everyone before its over by time I'm done to sit down and enjoy everyone else is ready to leave.There's no enjoyment in it for me at all.I know I'm surely not the only Mom and GM that wears theirselves out so everyone can have it nice but what about us.I'm already dreading Christmas b/c I have it on my own to do always and I'm so doged tired.I'm not on a pity pot just want more than just the work.DH says to go out to eat their wouldn't be the traditional leftovers he loves.but He's not doing the cooking cleaning either.Do any of u and familys just go out for Thanksgiving?Sorry so long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Holidays

• I do when I don't have to drive over 2 hours for dinner then two hours home again.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I'm sorry, and I can imagine how much work it is. We don't go out to eat and never have, but I'm not totally opposed to it. Seems like it would be much easier. Right now my mom always does most of the cooking, but I know one day I will for my children as well. When that time comes I will take the reigns and hopefully do them proud.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 11:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I know it's hard when you plan for a big family. Why doesn't everybody pitch in a dish like a vegetable or desert or something. If everyone brings a dish just make sure that you know who is bringing what so you won't have two of the same thing. Find out ahead of time. It will help you out, and they can help at the same time of you don't have to do everything. Then you can have some time with your family and friends for Thanksgiving.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Meh. It's not as big a deal for me as it is for some other people. The meaning behind it is really sad, and I am thankful every day for life's blessings. But I do enjoy getting together with family for a big meal and socializing. I am glad I'm still not having to do the cooking.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:04 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I rather enjoy the hustle & bustle of the holiday meals/gatherings. The cooking, cleaning, eating, shopping, family etc. We only host Christmas day at our home and the rest we do at my grandparents so perhaps I am not quite as burnt out as you yet. Plus it's the only time of year that hubby actually takes over most of the cooking so it's really more enjoyable for me.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:15 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• lol! I don't do the family get togethers. In fact, I hardly celebrate the holidays anymore anyway. I like to think of myself as retired. Yes, I will get together with my children and grandchildren, but we can do that anytime.. we don't need to eat giant supplies of food to enjoy our time. I don't get together with my extended family, because, well because they are pretty much all crazy and it never ended well.. I didn't enjoy it and it interfered with the time I spent with my own children. So, I moved, and I never went to another family get together. I enjoy my quiet enjoyment with my immediate family.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:23 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Well this year we went to our familys home. And surprise surprise I woke up this morning with my boyfriend already putting the turkey in the oven that way we could have our own leftovers!
    wowiemommy

Answer by wowiemommy at 12:31 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We do the main components, but everyone contributes for ours. It's so much a part of the tradition, the kids are now fighting over getting to make things to bring, too. I think that's one of the neatest parts of our Thanksgiving - watching my 20 something nephews all filing in with things they made themselves.

Growing up, there were some years we went out. After my grandmother moved to a retirement community, she'd take everyone out since she didn't have room to do a full dinner. It is nice to have less work (unless you're having everyone over for dessert after, still just as much housework involved that way), but the trade off is "sharing" your Thanksgiving with a bunch of other families who may be a lot louder than you, or offended that you're a lot louder than they are. I always thought it was a waste to spend 3 times the money to listen to someone else's drunk uncle scream about politics at dinner.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We do a big traditional dinner. We all pitch in and have dishes done in no time at all. Then we build a fire, and watch a good Christmas movie and have small talk, my favorite time of year.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2010