almost 5, poop accidents

I recently lost my job. (OCT )
About a week later he had a few poop incidents,
Same thing happened a few months after getting 2 new baby cousins, (that was around his 4th birthday; Jan 1, but overcome by a new chart I had created ... But here it is fall, and he's begun this nasty bad habit again)
I wonder if these 'life changes' are making him do this?
It seems like there was really no reason, we're with a bunch of family enjoying Holiday time to converse and play games, a calm episode of having pie and then coloring book.. then we start smelling stinky... yup, its you.. come on, let's go have our cold shower honey... why did you do this? Do you think its nice to make smelly mess at grandma's house? What? you were having too much fun to get up and do your business where it belongs!?!?

Carrie131

Asked by Carrie131 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Actually my 6 yr old is having the same affliction. Last year in grade K he had no accidents. Now this year in first grade he has had multiple pop & pee accidents. Sometimes he says tummy trouble. Sometimes he didn't make it in time. Sometimes the bathroom was dirty etc. I'm afraid it may have something to do with me & hubby arguing more lately but I just don't know.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:19 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Please don't do the cold showers and punish him. It will make it worse. Your job as his parent is to find out what the cause is. Is the new changes making him feel less important to mom and dad? Is he being abused ? abused emotionally, physically etc? Talk to someone about it that can help. like his pediatrician.

But something is going on and because he can't voice it, his body betrays him.

...and it's not uncommon for kids to have accidents as this age too.

Read and see if this helps some.
    http://yourparentingsolutions.com/_webapp_878618/4_Year_Old_Having_Potty_Accidents
    calliemist

Answer by calliemist at 12:41 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Why the cold shower?? My daughter will occasionally wait too long to get to the bathroom. She knows she has to go in and clean up and throw away her underwear. I don't punish her. She doesn' t like throwing her undies away but I just tell her she is old enough to know when she has to go to the bathroom and I am not going to wash them. She does NOT fully poop, just has a little in there before she makes the bathroom. He is quite a bit younger...maybe just watch for ques and ask him to use the bathroom every couple of hours or if you notice he hasn't gone for awhile, ask him to go. Help him out.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:05 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i agree to STOP the cold showers, it won't help anything... could be life changes, or attention, either way a cold shower isnt fixing the issue, it's justbeing cruel.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You punish your kid when he has accidents with cold showers?!?! What is wrong with you?
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• With my oldest dd she would have "accidents" when she was mad or upset. We gave her a shower, but it was never a hot or cold shower, just a regular shower to get cleaned up. She HATED showers and the last time she had an "accident" vowed then and there: "I WILL NEVER POOP MY PANTS AGAIN!" and she hasn't. That was 11 yrs ago. I wouldn't do the cold shower - just do a normal shower and tell her she is being naughty and if there is something she needs to talk about to please talk about it, but do not mess in your clothes again. I would discipline though - that is a very disobedient thing to do and she knows better.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:53 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't do a cold shower, that is mean!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• its not mean, many people take cold showers, so its just as cruel as spraying water on an animal doing something naughty, its not hurting them, just temporarily displeasing.
    BUT I come to find out from a doc on the phone that very commonly there is backed up 'stuff' in the colon, Only noticeable via X RAY. In that case, we'd have to go through laxatives/special diet to clear out the system, much like adults do with the lemon/maple syrup water diet. *UGH!*
    Carrie131

Comment by Carrie131 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2010