What are the Washington state laws on a employee coughing and hacking in your face?

This happen to me today while at work? Also my co-worker discriminated me since I would not take a client out because I had a wriiten doctors not since I am pregnant. She said why even work? Is that discrimination? Also She accussed me for stealing and drinking her juice. Which I had no idea and promised I never even touched it! I feel that she asulted me. This has been going onfor years but, getting more personal with me. My work can't keep a employee for asult? Or a hostile work invironment legally can they? According to the companies policy procedures manual the employee is to be determinated from the job. But yet the co-worker has still beenworking even after being caught on the job with alchol, and also smoking in clients house, along with disrespect and verbal assult against me. But yet she is still working! And I have not been removed from the hostile invironment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Good Luck with that! I don't know the laws in WA. but in Oregon it's a right to hire/right to fire state. No explanation needed. Have you reported this behavior, discussed the smell of alcohol with your superiors? Co-workers like him should definetely be held accountable for their actions. The workplace should not be a hostile enviroment to work in, but I see it where I work..It's everywhere.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• What's a right to fire state? What do you mean 675?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:57 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It means the company you work for can fire you for any reason they want! For example, about 10 yrs ago my husbands boss called at midnight, drunk, 3hrs away and he wanted my husband to come & get him, my husband told him to sleep it off and he'd see him the next day. The next morning hubby went to work and all of his belongings were in a box. He was fired! Went to an atty. and this is what he told us. The boss has a right to hire/fire regardless of circumstances!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:08 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• OP--Having been a Human Resources Director for a major 5 star hotel chain, I can honestly say, that when it comes to firing an employee, it all comes down to whether or not the employee can do the job they were hired to do. If for WHATEVER reason they refuse to share in job responsibilities or expectations, then they will be given a series of warnings, and then if the problem continues, will be terminated.

IMO, it sounds as if YOU are the one creating the hostile work environment, but NOT doing your job, and using the pregnancy excuse, which is causing other employees who ARE doing their jobs to resent you. If your doctor says you CANNOT do the job you were hired to do, because of your pregnancy, then you need to go on maternity leave, bed rest or quit! It's as simple as that!

And in THIS economy, employees and employers are really stressed and don't have time for "he said, she said" co-worker pettiness!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:41 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• She is doing her job! And dr. notes come first people need to learn to respect their employees! Thank you very much! This employee is just being immature!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2010