SIL thinks my kids are dumb. *EDIT*

My sister in law says my 2 year old DS has autisum, because he likes to look at fans and spin things. And that there is something mentally wrong with my 4 years old because he has a speach delay.

I have discussed both of these things with their doctor. And he believes, also with a 2nd opinion from another doctor that they are what some call late bloomers. Should I be concerned and get a 3rd opinion or is my sister in law just nuts? By the way this is the first time she has even been around my kids.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think my kids are dumb, I never have. Do I get frustrated somedays that they can't talk. YES! But I never thought they where dumb, and she really pushed the limit of suggesting something might be wrong. And just saying they had something mentally wrong with them. I'm not going to tell her off, its not worth it. Although I could think of a few things to say, like the fact she is unable to even have kids. But if I did that I'd be no better than her. Plus I have to live in the same house as her. But I did talk to DH and after the things she has and stuff we've seen. She left a 17 month old baby she was babysitting in the car with windows/doors shut while the car was off. All because she didn't want to deal with him while she put away groceries. Then got mad at DH when he got the baby out of the car. And then a few weeks later put the same kid in their truck without a carseat, because she wanted to go to the store. I would tell them mom, but I don't see her, because my SIL goes to her sisters house everyday, who knows what she does wth the kids over there. So DH said she is never allowed to be alone with our kids, or ever baby sit our kids. This girl is PSYICO! and she thinks there is something mental with my kids.

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 2:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would tell my SIL to STFU and mind her own business.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 2:56 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would not agree with either but I don't know your sister-in-law either. Just saying that I would not say she is "nuts" merely for saying what she did. I also believe you have done what you can as their mother and you and their pedi. know them best!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:59 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Sweetie may I tell you something? My 5 year old nephew is still unable to speak clearly. He too has a speech delay. You children are not dumb nor are the mentally incapacitated. Please don't listen to your SIL. It sounds like she has underlying issues and she is using you children as a way to evade those issues. Everything is fine, and yes I agree with bcauseimthemom... Tell your SIL to STFU. (Mostly because it will help you feel better :p ;) )
    FirstTimeMom224

Answer by FirstTimeMom224 at 4:07 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Children learn and do things at their own pace. I find it frustrating that some people are in such a rush, concerning all things including the development or a child. I agree tell her to shut her face because she isn't an expert and that is absolutley rude and insulting to say something to anyone about their children!
    heartsicksiren

Answer by heartsicksiren at 4:52 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• entitled to her opinion but she needs to keep it to herself
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:17 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i agree
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:05 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Unless your SIL has degrees in child development and special needs children, or is a pediatrician, ignore her.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:50 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Just ignore her. My son is eight and still have speech problems from time to time. You have enough to worry about as a mother, without watch she thinks. Keep up the good work.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:55 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• children who are autistic or have speech issues are not dumb
    they have nothing to do with eachother

mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Meh, my daughter's quite clever, she has some speech delays, but she spent about 15 mins solid spinning around in the living room....
    Children are children, not adults. My friends 3 year old decided he was a penguin. For two weeks, wouldn't answer to his name, you had to call him penguin.

Congratulations, your kids are wierd, and therefore perfecly normal. Nothing wrong with watching things spin.... how many adult relaxation things do exacly the same things?

With autism, you have to look out for socialisation, emotional recognition, eye contact, repetetive behaviours... Liking to watch spinny things isn't on there.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 10:01 AM on Nov. 26, 2010