FIL related question...

(Wow, I am just asking question after question, I'm sorry)... Ok, I know for most married couples one issue that poses a problem is the MIL... Well, my issue is the FIL... Tonight we went over to the house for Thanksgiving as DH and I got off work early... We were discussing baby names and told everyone that we wanted to name our boy Stephen Willis.... (Stephen after my late father and Willis after DH's late G'pa)... Anywho, as usual FIL tried to run the show again by telling us "My dad didn't like his first name, you should name him Stephen William." Not only did he blurt the news about the pregancy, now he is telling us what to name our kid... What would you do in this situation? I am to the point where I want to tell him to take his opinion and his know-it-all attitude and tell someone who cares what he thinks... Ugh what should I do?

FirstTimeMom224

Asked by FirstTimeMom224 at 4:29 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• If I were in your situation and I have been with our first child, when such comments were made I felt if I had ignored them they would go away but when they didn't I decided to speak out. I simply told my family or the relative " that it is not their decision to make but ours and that we will be raising our child how we see is best in that child's interest. I also commented that they should be happy for us and allow us to make our own decisions because we are adults and no longer children who should be told what to do." True they were upset but after having our baby it just seemed to melt away and they were happy for us. Good luck!
    heartsicksiren

Answer by heartsicksiren at 4:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2010