FIL....... GRRR!!!

One day I was on the phone with my FIL and we were discussing the baby and what sex I was hoping for versus what sex my DH is hoping for. I told him I want a girl and DH wants a boy but in the end it didn't really matter. He said, "I don't care either as long as it's healthy." I thought, "Wow, that's really nice." Then he has the nerve to say, "I don't even care if it's healthy, as long as it's viable." How in the H**L am I supposed to take that? Am I supposed to take it as, "Oh he just cares so much that however the baby is born he'll be happy." Or should I take it more offensively? I was really upset with that comment. Truly, it hurt me. Maybe I am just overly emotional... Do ya think?

FirstTimeMom224

Asked by FirstTimeMom224 at 4:35 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Maybe he means as long as he has a grandchild he will be happy with it no matter what.
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Men can be jerks just try to move on from his thoughtless, hurtful remark
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:07 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• He probably learned a new big word and thought he'd use it. Men just really don't think before they speak. Don't take it personally

Answer by admckenzie at 9:10 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• He should NOT have said "he didn't care if it was healthy"...thats rude or ignorant to some, especially the mother!!!
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 1:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You are over emotional. There was no hurt meant with the statement.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:45 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I absolutely disagree with the over emotional part. I am not crying in my cheerios every morning... Maybe it's because this is the only thing I have mentioned about my FIL, in other words, there is a history there. I do appreciate your input, however I am not overly emotional.
    FirstTimeMom224

Comment by FirstTimeMom224 (original poster) at 4:50 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It really depends on his tone and personality. I've heard people judge a mother for admitting preference before, but I always assumed wanting a healthy baby was a given. Odds are he had good intentions, but with a history it's hard to say for sure.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 6:22 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i agree with above
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:19 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I instantly thought he was probably being sarcastic. Dh would say something like that and I'd probably call him an idiot in a sarcastic voice and move on. I don't know your history but I'm sure he didn't mean anything cruel by it.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 7:34 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• what does viable mean
    Anonymous