Is this Normal Lactation?

I was reading Baby Laughs by Jenny McCarthy and there was a chapter on breastfeeding. She never even tried it. No big deal. But she's talking about how she was still leaking all over the place for a while and how it hurt so bad because she was so swollen.

I never had that. No pain, no leaking. I got bigger, though. My son never latched on, but I tried pumping every two hours for 30 minutes each during the day for six weeks. I never made more than 3-4 ounces a day. I only leaked once, and my boobs had been squished that time while I wasn't wearing a bra.

Did you have that happen? Or were you more like Jenny? My experience is seeming more and more different from that of other women and I'm wondering if there is something wrong. I know they can give you a shot to start lactating; maybe something simple like that would work. I want to be able to figure out what happened last time before it comes time to do it again, you know?

Tiger_Lily85

Asked by Tiger_Lily85 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't have pain with either of my children. My son I was only able to bf for a week. I ran into problems that I won't go into. However I did find pumping to be difficult. I learned with my daughter that pumping takes a certain amount of experimenting. Everything from the type of suction to the angle of the pump to the position of the breast...it all seemed to change how much I was able to get out. Sometimes I would get 8 oz in 30 min. Sometimes I would get 1 oz in 30 min. It varied so much.

When I stopped nursing both of them I didn't have any pain. It was uncomfortable and I would leak a bit but I was fine.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I heard that if you dont expell what you dont use that if can cause infection and that soreness.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2008